Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #31 
Lunatatice

Cool! Hey, about the Bettafix, I'm using it to treat my betta, Cyan, who has fin rot. I'm putting in slightly more than 1 mL each day for the .5 gal tank he lives in, and I'm doing 100% water changes every 1-2 days. Do you think that's all right?
Lunatatice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #32 
kitten_penang

never over dose the tank with chemicals.especially if there no aeration.please tank into consideration the actual amount of water he has.that means you have to minus any substrates or pebbles or sand you put into tank
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #33 
Lunatatice

I have no gravel in the tank, just a plant whily barely takes up space. The label said 2.5 mL for each gallon, so 1.25 for half a gallon, minus the plant, which is like 1 mL for my tank, right?
Lunatatice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #34 
TheJadeBetta

Wow. lol....The Betta is doing great.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #35 
kitten_penang

yup =)
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #36 
Sarada

Daily water changes and some salt for now. Can you post a picture so we can see what is wrong with him?
Is he eating? Soaking his food in garlic works as a natural antibiotic.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #37 
Welsh

I want to see some pics of him too :) I used salt and did a 100% water change daily and my bettas fins got worse IMO, he eventually died :( but I also don't trust medication either since I used Tetra General Tonic and it killed a healthy fish that I was treating for war wounds, I just don't have a lot of luck when it comes to treating my fish lol

Hope yours gets better :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #38 
Adastra

So what exactly are you doing? JFE and salt, right?

I would not use BettaFix in this situation for multiple reasons; the first being that it contains melaleuca, which has been shown to irritate the labyrinth organ in anabantoids including bettas. The other is that bettafix is a healing agent and an antiseptic, it is not an antibiotic. It is the aquatic equivalent of putting peroxide on a cut. If the fish has a systemic infection, it won't help at all.

Also keep in mind that bettafix/melafix works because it is an irritant--the irritation it causes around the wound site increases bloodflow to the area, stimulating more rapid healing. This works very well for goldfish, but I would never use it on a betta.

About the white poop question--I have found that mucusy white or stringy poo along with a distended belly and loss of appetite are definite signs of internal parasites. Keep in mind that praziquantel medications are not the same as antibiotics, and though they shouldn't be used recklessly, they tend to be much less harsh on fish, and overuse of them has a much less profound effect compared to the overuse of antibiotics.

It is good to hear that he is doing better--please keep us updated.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-13-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote