Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #1 
umarnasir335

Marble HMPK Spawn - Dalmatian Cello x Marble Cello

So everyone, it has finally happened!

My fourth breeding attempt has finally sparked my pair to spawn and the male to NOT eat all the eggs, unlike last time.

The fish are a pair of marble HMPK from Aluka's breeding project, purchased about 6 weeks ago. Conditioned them heavily for two weeks before I decided to breed my male with a female blue/red sister. They spawned, but he ended up eating all the eggs :(

5 days of reconditioning later, and I pop in another one of his sisters with him, and voila, they instantly clicked. 36 hours later, I got them spawning :D

Setup is a 10 gallon, filled halfway with 1 IAL, a bunch of Anacharis, Moneywort, and Guppy Grass. Styrofoam cup was used for the nest as well as a 20 gallon sponge filter, which will be used when the fry are free swimming.

The male is guarding the nest and momma has been placed back into the sorority with minimal nipping/damage. The key to this was that she was slightly bigger than the male :P

Here are the pics and vids!

Here are the pics
Male/Daddy
Name:  IMG_1008.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1022.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  63.5 KB

Female/ Momma
Name:  IMG_1014.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1018.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  54.7 KB

Attached are 2 videos: One of the pair spawning and me being a creep, filming them; the other one is about all my tanks and you get to see the nest, my sorority, and setup. I hope to keep all of you updated on the spawn. Cheers!

VIDEO 1 (Spawning):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBvx1XZCwQ

VIDEO 2 (nest, sorority, setup, etc. ----CAUTION: I blabber A LOT!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yBnwMkJvPw

Last edited by umarnasir335; 04-04-2014 at 01:34 AM.
umarnasir335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #2 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
I cannot wait to see the babies, they are such a beautiful pair
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #3 
Aluka

Good job!!! Sorry i was too busy to respond last time when you messaged me, i was at my friend's house helping her rescape her tank, lol
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #4 
umarnasir335

Your first spawn brings headaches, and I guess it's no different for me.

I woke up the day after the eggs were laid, and the bubble nest was in tatters. The majority of eggs were on the floor, so i decided that most of them wouldn't make it since my male was doing nothing to build another nest and bring the eggs back to the surface.

So I leave the eggs alone, about 50-60 of them, mostly on the floor, and they started hatching at about 2 PM yesterday, April 4.

All the eggs hatched by this morning, but my question is: how small are the fry?

I see a lot of small dots, almost microscopic and without the smallest trace of any fish resemblence, darting around, easily around 30 or so. Are these other microorganisms or my bettas?

Are they in the free swimming stage? I fed microworms this morning either way.

I'm so confused guys! HELP!!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #5 
amphirion

I'm only two days ahead of you. My fry were free swimming by day 2 of hatching. My thread has a few pics of the fry for reference:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=364457
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #6 
Aluka

the fry should look like 2 black dots and a tail, they look nothing like fish, lol
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #7 
umarnasir335

I'm going to try and get pictures once I'm done with work today. Either way, is it normal for the fry to be free-swimming only a day after hatching?

My main concern was that the nest was a corner of the tank and most of the white dots are concentrated in the middle.

Since most of them developed on the ground of the tank, will they be able to survive and develop swim bladders? I took the male out btw
Old 04-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #8 
amphirion

That is a little fast in my opinion. The fry should have completely consumed their yolk sacs before turning free swimming.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #9 
umarnasir335

Well, another spawn down the toilet. I put the mail in a 64oz container in the tank to keep his temp stable, and he managed to jump out of it, into the tank while I was running errands.

I can't see any of the white dots anymore...looks like he either took care of them or the undeveloped babies met met their end :(

I'm definitely going to recondition the pair a little more extensively this time...maybe try spawning them after a week since the female is in great condition :/

What do you guys do with males that are egg-eaters and bad at making bubble nests?
Old 04-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #10 
amphirion

dont necessarily count your male out just yet.
the first time i used my male, i mismanaged the female, and she ended up not being able to hold her clutch and lost all her eggs. the male ate all those...

i feared he was an egg eater. luckily for me, when I put him and the female back together, the spawn was successful, and the pics you see in my thread are of the fry. my main point being, males will eat the products of a botched spawning, whether it be because the fry were beyond saving, unfertilized eggs, or eggs gone bad.

it's also normal for the nest to go to hell once when the eggs have hatched. the fry are moving and wriggling, it will break up the nest and cause them to sink. at that point, the male is no longer occupying himself with fixing the nest but rather catching the fallers.

worst case scenario, he is demoted from breeder to pet. and if i have no room for pets, give him up for adoption.

Last edited by amphirion; 04-06-2014 at 12:45 AM.