Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #11 
FDStation152

Dwarf puffers can indeed be kept with other species. The key though is to find small active fish to house them with. Dwarf puffer aren't very fast moving and small active fish will easily escape their fin nipping attempts. You may end up with a few nipped fins here and there but nothing that will cause serious or permanent damage. Guppies will be a bad choice with puffers...especially male guppies as they will suffer repeated damage to the fins. I've read several articles on the subject and have kept dwarf puffers myself and as long as you keep them away from slow moving or long finned tank mates there shouldn't be problems. I flat out disagree with the notion that dwarf puffers can only be kept with other dwarf puffers.
FDStation152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:29 AM   #12 
tophat665

One thing to clarify in my above post - the guppy tank is not the same as the dwarf puffer tank. The guppies are just there to get it cycled and keep it there.
tophat665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #13 
JTheFishGuyG

Betta

Bettas will fight anything exspecially puffers if used to being on its own bettas will charge head first into a puffers spikes. not pretty if that happens remove the betta and put it down ASAP the faster the less painful.
JTheFishGuyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #14 
FDStation152

That last post makes no sense at all. First of all the puffers would in all likelihood be the aggressors in that scenario and thus wouldn't be puffed up. They rarely fully puff up unless they are in danger of actually being eaten. And why would you put down a betta that had run into a puffers spikes eh? Its not like it would poison the betta.
FDStation152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #15 
musho3210
Banned

never put down a fish unless absolutely nessicary, putting down a fish since you cant be bothered trying to heal it, is the cowards way out. A simple poke by a puffers needles would barely scratch the scales of the betta as well as it being easy to heal. I dont even think dwarf puffers have spikes....
musho3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #16 
nevenera

I have a 10 gallon tank with 6 bumblebee guppies (started out with briny water but they are doing better with no salt), 2 dwarf puffers and two ADFs. The tank has been going for 6 months and everyone is fine.

I feed them all live blood worms and I call it my little tank of cute monsters. I have 3 other tanks and this is the only tank I have never had problems with.

I have lots of plants and caves, but everyone likes to hang out in front looking for food.
nevenera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #17 
JTheFishGuyG

ok ok ok

sorry guys id didnt meen to sound cruel i just thought they sounded like they were really suffering i guess i didn't fully understand.
JTheFishGuyG is offline   Reply With Quote