Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #1 
n2space

Help! Lightning is in trouble :(

I've had Lightning for about a year, he's in a 5 1/2 G tank, heated at a constant 78F, filtered, about 40% WC's every week or two. Lately I noticed his color was faded on his tail, but him seemed perfectly normal, so I chalked it up to age. A few days ago I noticed he is sitting up near the heater, or near the bottom and breathing heavily. Numerous dipstick tests show me Nitrate and Amonnia, etc is all fine. He isn't swimming around unless I tried to feed him and he eats fine (attacked his bloodworms last night like normal), but otherwise something has to be wrong. I figured he has some disease and started some AFI tetracycline. It's only been 48 hours, but when I did the 25% change tonight I added 1TBSP of aquarium salt. Any ideas? :( I've become quite attached to him and am extremely worried.
n2space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #2 
n2space

:( Any thoughts?

This is about 4 months ago:

Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #3 
RandomFish

Hi, sorry to hear that your buddy isn't well.

How often do you feed him bloodworms? Do you feed him pellets?
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #4 
XSprinkleFaceX

Check this website out. If you find something that may seem like what he has post it on this forum and see if anyone gives any better advice on it, just to be safe so you won't treat the fish for the wrong thing.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #5 
XSprinkleFaceX

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
http://www.bettafishcenter.com/Betta...se-Table.shtml
Sorry forgot tot post the websites lol
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #6 
n2space

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFish View Post
Hi, sorry to hear that your buddy isn't well.

How often do you feed him bloodworms? Do you feed him pellets?
he gets feed once per day a rotating diet of: pellets, freeze dried blood worms, daphnia, and brine shrimp. One day per week he gets a fast day. He looked a little bloated the other day so I fasted him, not sure if I should with him being sick :(
Old 07-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #7 
n2space

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSprinkleFaceX View Post
Thanks, I had looked at the first website before... an infection is the best thing I could match. He doesn't appear to have anything wrong with him, physically as I can tell except his colors are faded. Then he started laying around and breathing heavy.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

"Water change every week or two" may be part of the problem, I would increase the water changes to 50% daily for the next 4-5 days and then stay on a regular schedule water change of 50% weekly with substrate vacuuming, swish/rinse the filter media in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slow.
Since you started him on antibiotic I would complete the course per the instruction so not to create resistant bacteria.

Often when a fish is lethargic it usually is from the environment or temp related and making a couple daily 50% water change and checking the temp is a good first step to rule that out as causes before starting antibiotics IMO/E
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #9 
n2space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
"Water change every week or two" may be part of the problem, I would increase the water changes to 50% daily for the next 4-5 days and then stay on a regular schedule water change of 50% weekly with substrate vacuuming, swish/rinse the filter media in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slow.
Since you started him on antibiotic I would complete the course per the instruction so not to create resistant bacteria.

Often when a fish is lethargic it usually is from the environment or temp related and making a couple daily 50% water change and checking the temp is a good first step to rule that out as causes before starting antibiotics IMO/E
Thanks for the info. I change the filter every two weeks, and when I change water I am vacuuming the gravel. I had jsut done a 40-50% WC a day or two before he started getting bad :( However, I don't really see it pick up much off the bottom... none of the gravel filters I have used seem to pick up much, does anyone have a recommendation for a good gravel cleaner as well?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #10 
n2space

one other thing I didn't mention is I used bottled gallons of spring water along with a conditioner.... our tap water here is HORRIBLE and VERY hard. He should be getting good water