Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #1 
loppy656

Unhappy Lots of fin rot?

My fish Posiden is having a bad case of fin rot that just won't go away. He has had it twice now but the second time it came back a little stronger but wont get any better. I'm keping it simple for now and doing frequint water changes and puting in aqurim salt. Some times I'll put in some "Betta Revive". (It's this stuff that makes the water blue) He now has fins that are quite short but it hasn't spred to his body yet. And im doing my best to keep it that way.

I am wondering what could have caused this. I am keeping him in a small tank for now to make it easer to do frequint water changes. He is uasaly in a 1.5g tank witch has a mold (i think its mold) problem. There is white fuzzy stuff in the tank wich happend the last time he had fin rot. Back then i thought it was just some little pice of papper towl that got in there but it came back and was all over the filter, heater and back wall of the tank. I don't know if I sould clean it out with sope and rince it real well or if i sould just get a new tank.

Sorry for such a long post. All comments are of value.
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #2 
melfish123

This maybe could have been caused because so much bacteria. How often did you do water changes before? I'm sure if you wash the tank out REALLY well it should be fine.
melfish123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #3 
CayennePepper

Whatever you do Don't Wash It Out With Soap!!!
CayennePepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #4 
Adastra

A 1.5 gallon tank should be changed at least every other day, if not every day. Your fish is suffering due to bad water quality--if you change the water every day he should bounce back. Also, the lack of proper heating is also probably playing a role in weakening his immune system. I suggest upgrading to a larger tank and getting a proper heater.

If you don't have the money for that right now, I suggest getting a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin from walmart or target--they are only about $3 for 2-4 gallon containers--they are lighter and more durable than glass, can be safely heated, and you won't have to change the water quite as much. Your fish will also have more swimming space, but won't have to strain to reach the top to breathe.

I also suggest you get a 25watt heater with an adjustable dial. Heaters are not really optional.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #5 
loppy656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
A 1.5 gallon tank should be changed at least every other day, if not every day. Your fish is suffering due to bad water quality--if you change the water every day he should bounce back. Also, the lack of proper heating is also probably playing a role in weakening his immune system. I suggest upgrading to a larger tank and getting a proper heater.

If you don't have the money for that right now, I suggest getting a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin from walmart or target--they are only about $3 for 2-4 gallon containers--they are lighter and more durable than glass, can be safely heated, and you won't have to change the water quite as much. Your fish will also have more swimming space, but won't have to strain to reach the top to breathe.

I also suggest you get a 25watt heater with an adjustable dial. Heaters are not really optional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melfish123 View Post
This maybe could have been caused because so much bacteria. How often did you do water changes before? I'm sure if you wash the tank out REALLY well it should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayennePepper View Post
Whatever you do Don't Wash It Out With Soap!!!
It seams you didn't read my post all the way through. Because it dose say i have a heater in the tank. And the tank isn't glass its plastic.

I change the water 50% and 100% in one week.

Ok. Good to know I can't wash it out with soap. I had hurd that you could some where as long as you wash it out really well but I guss it was wrong.

Last edited by loppy656; 07-20-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #6 
Maryrox247

OMG! Rogers case is just like yours! By the way that white fuzzy stuff is fungus. I would rinse the tank thouroughly with HOT HOT HOT water! ( I had that in my 2.5 gallon because it was in direct sunlight stupid me...)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #7 
loppy656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
OMG! Rogers case is just like yours! By the way that white fuzzy stuff is fungus. I would rinse the tank thouroughly with HOT HOT HOT water! ( I had that in my 2.5 gallon because it was in direct sunlight stupid me...)
Thanks for the help! I'll have to try that. But hes not in derect sun light... mater of fact theres like no sun light in my room at all.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:22 AM   #8 
Maryrox247

No problem! :) Well, maybe there is another cause of the fungus? If you ever see that dungus come back i would get your water tested.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote