Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #1 
Raichou

Suggestions for a fat betta?

My lovely Gabe has been looking a bit pudgy lately. At first I was concerned about a possible case of dropsy, but he's acting fine and his scales are not raised.

Curious, I started watching him during meals. I was surprised to find that after eating his betta pellets, he went after the tropical flakes as well! I've decided to start keeping him in a separate mini-tank during meal times...however, this doesn't solve his obesity!

How might I go about bringing his weight down? And once down, how do I continue to control his habit of over-eating?
Raichou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #2 
JKfish

My betta is like that too, he's a little piglett. I fast him once a week, and make sure I try to exercise him holding his pellets in my fingers, and having him follow them around the tank so that he does several "laps" before he get's his meal.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #3 
Raichou

The exercise idea is pretty cute. :)

How do you fast him? I want to make sure that I do everything right...I don't want to make him uncomfortable.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Pick one day of the week and don't feed him on that day. Also, I wouldn't feed anymore than 2-3 pellets twice a day.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 
Raichou

Ok, I appreciate it! Thanks! :)