Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #1 
Yuuki

He's dying... what can I do? D:

-sigh-

Long story short... I've had lots of trouble with Sushi from the day I brought him home. He's been through a lot over the past year, but I think he's going to leave us very shortly.

He hasn't been quite right for the past 2 months, but he wasn't showing any obvious symptoms. Because of that, I haven't attempted treating him aside from using a bit of aquarium salt and upping the temp in his tank. Over the past few days... he hasn't been coming up for air. I honestly don't know how he's still alive.

But now... he's all limp, and it looks like his eyes are somewhat sunken in. He's slightly pineconed, not moving and his fins appear almost transparent. He looks so sad.

I have moved him into a container with shallow water. Is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable? Or at least to make myself feel better?
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #2 
frogipoi

How old is he? Many other users had a problem when the betta was 2yrs old. He might be dying of old age. 3-4 years is when the betta gets old. So sorry. Just say to yourself that Sushi lived a good life and he will live in fish heaven. Right now he is holding on for you and you only. Cherish the moments of life you had together and get pics of him for your scrapbook. He loves you and it is sad for a betta to die. So sorry...
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #3 
Yuuki

I've had him for a year, but I suppose he was 6 months or so when I bought him. Gah.... I never thought I'd be crying over a fish. D:

For now, I'm just going to bring him up for air as often as I can. I just did, and he just laid there in my hands... didn't move at all, but he did breathe and make a little bubble. T-T
Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #4 
frogipoi

So sorry.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm sorry about Sushi! Sometimes there are no visible signs when they are sick. It may be something internal. It sounds like you are doing everything you can for him and that he has a great home with lots of love.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #6 
Yuuki

I guess I'd just like to thank you guys for helping me out a bit. :)

Sushi did pass away last night or early this morning. I just woke up and found him gone. I'm working on digging a little hole in the backyard, probably silly, but I can't stand the idea of flushing him.

Overall, I feel a bit better now that he's gone.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #7 
frogipoi

So sorry. I guess you should get another betta. Some one on youtube for children flushed their betta after it died in a BATTLE.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #8 
Yuuki

Now that's just horrible. Horrible people fighting Bettas. D:<

Sushi has his own little spot in our yard now, complete with a little cross I made for him. I am planning on getting another Betta; in fact, I started setting up a new tank a week ago. I'll give it another 3-4 weeks... then I'll start looking for another. :)
Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #9 
frogipoi

Okay. It is sad losing a family member.