Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #1 
notromt

55g betta with danios and corys?

So, I'm new to betta's having never had one at all. I have had a community tank setup before with danios, cherry barbs, and corys... so I know that they would do fine together.

I'm looking for a "centerpiece" fish though and really think a betta would be awesome. A male betta specifically.

Here is my idea... a male betta, a school of danios (7-10), and a several corys (6). Would that work? Would the betta mess with the danios? or the danios mess with the betta?

If a male wouldn't work, what about a sorority of females (4 or 5)? Still with the danios and corys... how would that work out?

For inside the tank I have several large rocks creating tunnels and hiding places, as well as a lot of fake plants around the back and sides. I also have some aeration stones to help with circulation and decoration.

With either of those setups in a 55g tank, could I go with more corys/danios to fill the tank a bit more? Or is that a pretty good load on the tank?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks.
notromt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #2 
notromt

EDIT: I also added a similar post to this in the danios forum area... hope that is alright.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Well bettas are okay with corys, and I'm pretty sure that they are okay with danios. A male betta would be fine, But he could get stressed depending on his personality. I think you could add a few more corys.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #4 
TheJadeBetta

I would not suggest danios. Hatchets, Ghost/Glass Catfish, are good fish..I have had success with Mollies, Platies, and Sword tails.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #5 
Adastra

Danios will be OK, but keep in mind danios love currents, and bettas do not do well in them at all. Danios like cooler temperatures than bettas do, as well. Platies, mollies, and other livebearers tend to like harder water and a higher salinity than bettas do, and can be real bullies.

If it were me, I would go with the danios, leave the tank at the betta's low range and the danio's high range; 77-78 degrees. You should have some current in the tank, but there should be a larger dead area with no current. You should be able to do this with a small powerhead. And I would definitely get a plakat male instead of a longfinned one. They sell "King" bettas at Petco from time to time which are half-giant plakats--that would probably be your best bet. And definitely get a full school of danios, more than six individuals.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #6 
notromt

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't plan on using a powerhead, but was just going with a powerful air pump on 3 different aerator stones (12", 1", 1").

Sooo... I'm really wanting the danios, so what if instead of a betta I got a pearl gourami or 2?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #7 
Adastra

Pearls are great little guys, very peaceful, and they're very very shy. The adults are beautiful. You might want to get a few of them because they seem more secure that way and come out more. Unlike most gourami species, multiple males get along fine. Expect them to hide a lot at first, and don't get any aggressive tankmates or they will continue to hide and you'll never see them. Definitely get more than 6 danios so that they won't pick on the pearls.

I still think you should consider a small powerhead. :) They have so much fun in a little current. And have you considered a bottom dwelling species yet?
A school of dwarf chain loaches would look great with the other black and silver patterned fish you've got going on already. They're beautiful.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #8 
notromt

I still have my receipt for my air pump, so I guess I could return it and get a powerhead. What size do you suggest for a 55g tank?

I am thinking of 8-10 danios, and about 6 cory catfish. Wouldn't the corys count as the bottom dwellers for the tank?

If I go with the pearls, would 4 be good, or should I get more?

current build: 4 pearl gouramis, 8-10 danios, 6 corys

Going on vacation soon, so will start cycling the tank when I get back.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #9 
Adastra

I'd say cories count as bottom dwellers, although they do swim at different levels now and then 'cause that's just how they roll. I just suggested the dwarf chains because I secretly want them myself.. sigh.. ;) That stocking should be fine though, as for the powerhead, I haven't really had anything larger than a 30 gallon tank so I haven't looked for larger ones--I use one of these: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...09&pcatid=4609 The 1200 has really good reviews and it should work for a 55, should just give you enough current to make the danios happy without blowing your plants all over the place. :)

Tags
betta, community, corys, danios