Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #1 
LurkerMom

Red/Purple + form question

So, Vhagar is red/purple (as far as I know, but I'd like more info if possible)

I was wondering what could I look for to breed him and try to push his purple accents more.

also, should I breed him? is his form ok? (I really don't know!)
Attached Images

LurkerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #2 
PieTime

I don't know anything about color genetics, so I can't tell you anything about that. It's difficult to see the fish's form since he isn't flaring, but I would absolutely get a female with a wider dorsal base, as his is quite narrow
PieTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Agreed on a wider dorsal base. Can you get him to flare, and take a picture that way? I'd say to take your time and hunt for a purple female. The end result will probably give you quite a few blues, since purple is just a red/blue mix. But if you are serious with breeding, you'll aim for your goal!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry to disappoint you, but your male is genetically a blue-red betta - not a purple. He also probably carries black genes, though it isn't apparent. . . . What I'd call a classic multi.

You can breed him to another royal blue-red female to get his color. The "blue" might be more blue - whether darker or lighter. If you want the blue to be more "purple" I suggest breeding him to a lavender. You will, of course, end up with lots of color mixtures, but hopefully you will also get a more purple color.

BTW, there is thus far no true "purple" betta.

By the looks of it, he has excessive rays. I do agree that his dorsal could be better, but I don't think it's too badly formed (the dorsal has ray branching). But if you are concerned, you can breed him to a DT.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #5 
LurkerMom

yea I was looking at lavender as well.
thanks for the feedback! I was already looking for DT for him and help with the fins ^-^

anything else I should look for?
I'm meeting the breeder/importer on the 11th (the day he's getting the shipment from thailand)
LurkerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

He has excessive rays, so you don't need excessive rayed females as such pairings might create roses . . . unless you want to create them. IMO 4 rayed females should suffice. Try to find pointy edged caudals and dorsals that opens like a fan - even better one that has long upright front ray (dorsal).
And since the male is rather a spoon head, try to find a female that has smooth bullet shaped body - relatively equal curve on the top and bottom.

If you go the DT route; try to find a dorsal that stands upright and/or with long front rays. Plus a relatively balanced body.

Since long fins are dominant, you can also use PKs - as long as it has the above criteria. PKs should improve is body in general and thicken his fins. But remember, taking this route means more work and more selective breeding.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #7 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

He's gorgeous
I would breed him with a white and purple fish, but that's just me
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote