Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #1 
Jooleeah

Smile Snails? :|

Im thinking about getting a snail or two but im under the impression that they mainly eat algae?
Yes?
No?
...Yes and no?

none of my tanks have algae at all, ever. (Is that normal? Or does it have to do with the sunlight exposure) Ive only ever had algae in the 3 gallon in my old house like...maybe seven years ago
So, do i have to buy food for them or do they just eat fishie poopie D: and other stuff they happen to find. And should i get some live plants for them, i probably will anyways, snail or no snail, but what kind should i get?
I had snails before (3gal, old house, 7years) and they seemed pretty happy. Hopefully i can have it happen again :D
Jooleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #2 
sampster5000

What kind of snails were you looking at getting? I recommend mystery snails. Very interesting snails and fun to watch. They do not eat fish poop. I don't believe any fish eat poop. If you watch them suck some up they will quickly spit it out. There are snails like nerite snails that mainly eat algae. Mystery snails eat algae but you will not even know they are because the tank wont be "cleaned". They mainly eat micro algae. Mystery snails are good scavengers. You do not have to feed them very much because they eat fallen food and the microscopic algae but should be given veggies from time to time. You can feed them lettuce or zuchini etc. I drop in Hikari's sinking wafers for bottom feeders every day and my snail eats the whole thing. Make sure to research the type of snail you want before getting one.
sampster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #3 
Jooleeah

i completely forgot about the algae wafers
Jooleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:31 AM   #4 
sampster5000

No problem!
sampster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote