Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #1 
frogipoi

Question Best betta buddy? bump

What is the best betta buddy? Danios, barbs, mollies?
So many... What is the BEST BETTA BUD?
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

None of those are acceptable tank mates for bettas. IMO the only fish that make good tank mates for Bettas are Harlequin Rasboras (in a group), dwarf corydoras (in a group) or glass catfish (in a group). All of those should be in groups of 6 and IMO a betta would only be good with them in tanks 15+ gallons.

In smaller tanks I don't think fish tankmates are a good choice for a betta. IMO snails and shrimp and maybe african dwarf frogs are the only good tankmates for tanks 5-10 gallons.

Honestly though most bettas are most happy when left alone. Bettas are not people and do not need "friends" to be happy.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #3 
sampster5000

I have 3 skunk corydoras and 1 mystery snail in with my betta in my 10 gallon and everything is fine.
sampster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #4 
frogipoi

lol I just want to see. I am getting a bigger tank and wonder if there are any betta buds to make it more lively and something to play with lol.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #5 
sampster5000

Sadly, Betta's are not the kind of fish who like to play with others :( See them as a bully at school. They want to play but still want to look the coolest and most mean so they push around the others until they cry. Not the best thing to have! They are great alone though or with some bottom dwellers that keep to themselves.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #6 
frogipoi

I mean mess with lol. I WAS TALKING ABOUT BOTTOM DWELLERS! Not to shout but I just want another fish. I was not going to do it now just wanted opinions. Should I? Could I? Would I? I know a bud would not be a "friend" but a cleaner fellow.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

IMHO if you want to experience different fish just put them in a different tank. Almost any betta person will agree a betta is most happiest and least stressed by himself. There are those that would fool themselves into thinking that their fish is actually happier now that he has tankmates but I honestly think they're fooling themselves.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Jackie. Bettas are solitary fish and do best by themselves.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #9 
RandomFish

I hope you don't ever get mollies! They behave disgustingly IMO: produce a lot of waste (and then eat their own poo if not removed immediately), females constantly having babies and then eating them, males always wanting to mate and harassing females...
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 AM   #10 
sampster5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFish View Post
I hope you don't ever get mollies! They behave disgustingly IMO: produce a lot of waste (and then eat their own poo if not removed immediately), females constantly having babies and then eating them, males always wanting to mate and harassing females...
I agree that Mollies are a huge pain.