Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #1 
apbane97

Is this a good setup?

Hi I'm new to this forum and have been planning on getting a betta for quite some time now. I have had bettas before but have not seemed to have much luck with them. I have decided to try again because i love them so much so i got a five gallon bowfront tank with a sponge filter, a theo hydor 50 watt heater, black gravel and lots of silk plants that i tested with nylons to make sure they won't tear my bettas fins. I also have an Asian bridge and an Asian tower for hiding. If anyone has suggestions as to what i could do better please feel free to give them! Also i have heard that putting aquarium salt in can be good or bad.. what do you suggest? Thanks again
apbane97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Do you have a Thermometer? Dechlorinator? Sounds good to me. I would check the decorations for sharp edges. Aquarium salt should only be used when you need it, for torn fins, fin rot, etc.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your setup sounds good to me. You don't need to use aquarium salt unless your betta is sick.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #4 
RandomFish

Sounds great! If your 50w heater ever breaks down (not likely...Hydor Theo heaters seem pretty reliable), I'd recommend a 25w for a 5-gallon.

Aquarium salt is cheap and good to have on hand in case your betta tears his fin - it'll help prevent infection. Just be sure to dissolve it in dechlorinated water before adding it otherwise it'll "burn" the betta.

I've been using it on my betta with a majorly torn fin for about a month. I added the dosage recommended on the package when I received him with a section of his dorsal fin missing all the way down to his body. But the the fin started turning red along the tear anyway, indicating infection. So then I doubled the dosage of the aquarium salt and the redness went away in two days and his fin has been steadily growing back. It's been almost a month now and his fin is halfway grown back.

So yep, I recommend aquarium salt for torn fins.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Sounds great. =] Just make sure that it's cycled first though! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #6 
Adastra

Yes, you should research the Nitrogen Cycle and how to perform a fishless cycle before you put your fish in. Otherwise, sounds great. If you read around the forum a bit you'll get an idea of what food and other products are decent.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #7 
apbane97

Thanks everyone :) yes i do have a thermometer and I have researched the fishless cycling but i have another question. I have a ten gallon that isn't being used and i was wondering which tank would be better to use for the betta? I am going to be in a dorm room so i am not sure the ten gal will fit but if it does should i use that instead?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #8 
RandomFish

Some of my bettas freaked out in a 10-gallon but are super happy in 5's. Others are happy in both. But all of them seemed happy when provided 5 gallons... so I think 5 gallons is ideal, especially for a dorm room.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #9 
apbane97

Thank you I think i am going to use my ten though and if he freaks out I will use my five that i am bringing for a quarantine tank.