Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #1 
apbane97

Ten Gallon Setup

Ok so change of plans. I found out that my ten gallon i have will fit in my dorm room and since i want my betta to be really happy i'm going to use that instead of the five gallon. I'm planning on bringing the five gallon for a quarantine tank. Now that i have more room i was thinking about getting some pygmy corydoras catfish. Would 6 pygmys be ok with my betta? Do they eat algae at all or only food on the bottom of the tank?
apbane97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #2 
Adastra

That should be fine--just make sure the pygmies have enough places to hide from the betta and get out of the light. You should also do a fishless cycle on the ten gallon before putting your fish in, especially since you want to put a group of schooling fish in. A fishless cycle will give you a much larger bacterial colony, so you could put all of your pygmies in at once.

As for your diet concerns, corydoras are omnivorous and are scavengers more than algae eaters, I would not expect them to eat algae. They will eat blanched peas and zuchini and other vegetables along with tubifex worms and any betta pellets your betta happens to miss. You should research their dietary needs more thoroughly, should be easy with just a little googling.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote