Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 AM   #11 
atb224155

Breeding is no joke when the pair don't have the wrapping idea around them. It's been 6 days since the first post and theirs no action. Out of curiosity, what breeds are your bettas?
atb224155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 AM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Re condition the pair. Just because it didn't work the first time doesn't mean they'll "never spawn". This is their first time - there is a chance they could get the hang of it the second time around.

What gets my pairs to breed? I'll tell you what I do:

Currently my breeders are being conditioned. They are being fed 4-6 smaller meals of a variety diet: meat of mealworms (head chopped off meat pulled out by the fish), New Life Spectrum 0.5mm pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis... I exercise them (a male or a mirror) once every couple days. Their water is cleaned once a day. Their temp is never below 80.

Then when I am ready to spawn them, the male is in the spawn tank for at least 24 hours before introducing the female. At this time I still offer the variety diet and clean the water once a day. I bring the water height down to 4 inches. I usually make sure to use live plants, and one "cave". I flare him a couple times, and have the temp at 82. Then the female is placed in a breeder's net or a floating cup. If the male only attacks the cup and doesn't "lead away" from her, preferably towards his nest, I don't let her go. Overnight if he shows the right behavior, I release her. If he doesn't, I introduce some of her water to his (only used if fkoating a cup, as the net allows the pheremones to slip through) or I flare him with the mirror, pretending to be a "rival". ****I also use clingwrap ontop of the tank keeping it absolutely humid in there. I may also "mist" with a spray bottle of water, mimicking rain. I offer food three timee a day to both of them when they are together. Then when they want to spawn they stop eating :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #13 
gsivac03

@atb224155 - They are HMs bred by some thai breeder got imported with the help of local importers...but they are not siblings..i dont doubt there quality..they are perfect & healthy.

@Sena Hansler - Yes, will wait till this weekend else will recondition them..and What you do is way too gud for any hobbyist...i dont think i can even replicate urs...impressive...with the available resource am trying to give them the best i can. As u said they are not eating anything...it seems to me that they are ready to spawn but finding it difficult to spawn...something tells me that the tank size is little too much for them to get along...its around 2 feet in length...making it hard for the male to reach the female everytime...not sure need to try
gsivac03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Lol thanks!! I found it works best for me. Every single breeder is different :) you'll find what works best for you too. I use a 10 gallon for breeding, 4 inches of water. I have found bigger proved difficult - except for giants lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #15 
atb224155

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsivac03 View Post
@atb224155 - They are HMs bred by some thai breeder got imported with the help of local importers...but they are not siblings..i dont doubt there quality..they are perfect & healthy.
Good to know...They could be not ready yet.

Quote:
Sena Hansler - Yes, will wait till this weekend else will recondition them..and What you do is way too gud for any hobbyist...i dont think i can even replicate urs...impressive...with the available resource am trying to give them the best i can. As u said they are not eating anything...it seems to me that they are ready to spawn but finding it difficult to spawn...something tells me that the tank size is little too much for them to get along...its around 2 feet in length...making it hard for the male to reach the female everytime...not sure need to try
That makes a lot of sense
atb224155 is offline   Reply With Quote