Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #1 
kakashikage

Question Plants & Heaters

I am the recent owner of a rescured orange & black betta named Amadeus. I have no experience with bettas, so I have lots of questions. Amadeus is currently in a one-gallon tank (because that was all my apartment complex would allow without me paying the $300 pet fee), but I am working with the complex owners to obtain permission for a three-gallon tank. However, until I can get permission, Amadeus is in a one-gallon, so I want to make his environment as comfortable as possible in such a small space.

I have a fake plant in there for now, but I would love to be able to get a real plant. Since the tank is so small, are there any good plants that won't take over the entire tank (and preferably inexpensive)?

I am also not sure what to do about heating the tank - I live in Texas, so I have had no trouble keeping his tank around 80 degrees without a heater in the summer, but I'm sure I'll need a heater in the winter. Are there any reliable heaters for a one-gallon tank? (also, if I am able to get the three-gallon tank, what is a good heater for that?)

Sorry to put so much info in one post, but I desperately want Amadeus to stay happy and healthy, and I hope you all can help! Thank you so much!
kakashikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #2 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashikage View Post
I am the recent owner of a rescured orange & black betta named Amadeus. I have no experience with bettas, so I have lots of questions. Amadeus is currently in a one-gallon tank (because that was all my apartment complex would allow without me paying the $300 pet fee), but I am working with the complex owners to obtain permission for a three-gallon tank. However, until I can get permission, Amadeus is in a one-gallon, so I want to make his environment as comfortable as possible in such a small space.

I have a fake plant in there for now, but I would love to be able to get a real plant. Since the tank is so small, are there any good plants that won't take over the entire tank (and preferably inexpensive)?

I am also not sure what to do about heating the tank - I live in Texas, so I have had no trouble keeping his tank around 80 degrees without a heater in the summer, but I'm sure I'll need a heater in the winter. Are there any reliable heaters for a one-gallon tank? (also, if I am able to get the three-gallon tank, what is a good heater for that?)

Sorry to put so much info in one post, but I desperately want Amadeus to stay happy and healthy, and I hope you all can help! Thank you so much!
to keep an aquatic plant alive you will need a flourescent / LED grow light. I can't think of any plants that wouldn't quickly outgrow your 1 gallon. Just stick to fake plants imo. Hydor mini heater is great for 2-5 gallons if you could upgrade
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 AM   #3 
mjbn

try to just get silk plants for now, then add in real plants if you upgrade to a bigger tank. Make sure you clean the water daily too. &the hydor is good, but it keeps raising temp, and doesn't aaaaauto shutoff. My sisters 2.5 is at 90 degrees rightnow (no fish inside) woth the hydor.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

Wouldn't an anubius nana be ok for a 1 gal.? They are SO small & grow SO slow - plus they have the advantage of being a low light plant. :)

Good luck talking them into the 3 gal.!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #5 
kakashikage

Thank you all so much for your help. The apartment complex has given me permission for a tank less than 5 gallons, which I am thrilled about, but I am a graduate student and have very little income, so I'm having to get creative about getting him into a bigger tank. I've heard that I can get a 4-gallon container from Walmart and use it like an aquarium - are there any cautions I need to watch out for if I'm going to do this?
I have a small undergravel filter/aeration stone in the one-gallon, do I need to try to find something similar for the 4-gallon?
Basically, any advice you all have for how to "make" a bigger aquarium work on a small budget would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Check out Kritter keepers or Critter Totes. =] You can find them in 1,2,3,and 5 gallons I think. =] You might be able to find a 4 gallon.

Will they actually come in and check how many gallons your aquarium will hold? If not then just get a 5 gallon even kritter keeper. they might not be able to tell. ;]

I'd go to foster and smiths aquatics page and get an adjustable marineland stealth heater for your tank at 10 or 25 watts. =] it auto shuts off and it's perfectly adjustable! =]

there are videos for making your own filter out of plastic bottles, filter floss, bio filter media, a pipe-like thing and an airstone. You could probably use the shaft from your current undergravel filter. it works about the same if I'm correct.

that or you could go to petco.com or fosters and smith and buy a pennplaxx small world filter for like $4.00. =] that would work well too.

Good luck! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #7 
kakashikage

My parents have kindly agreed to pay for a 5-gallon aquarium for Amadeus, which I'm going to purchase next week while I am in town. Unfortunately, Amadeus will probably be stuck in his little one-gallon for a while longer, since I'll have to wait for the new tank to cycle. I did buy a 5-gallon plastic container from Walmart, which is going to be used to house aquarium supplies, but I think I can fill it with some treated water for Amadeus to have a good swim in at least once a week until his new tank is ready. I was worried he'd be stressed by all this moving, but he seems totally chill with the net and even hanging out in his cup when I need to clean the aquarium.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #8 
kakashikage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzle View Post
to keep an aquatic plant alive you will need a flourescent / LED grow light. I can't think of any plants that wouldn't quickly outgrow your 1 gallon. Just stick to fake plants imo. Hydor mini heater is great for 2-5 gallons if you could upgrade
Thanks, I bought the Hydor mini heater and even in the one gallon, it works really well. Since the tank stays about 80 degrees without a heater, I've only had to plug it in once when it went down to about 72 for some reason. It did a great job of heating it gradually and it stopped right at 79ish. I have read of lots of problems though, so I haven't left it plugged in without my constant supervision yet. My parents are giving me a Theo 25-watt that was in an old tank of theirs (which was housing a few homicidal silver dollar fish) and I think I'm going to try it in the five-gallon. They apparently did not know that the wattage should match the tank size, they have a 20-gallon so a 25-watt heater was not doing the trick. Works out great for me, though!

Tags
heaters, plants