Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #1 
MoePaac

Marineland Penguin 100B

I got my new tank from craiglist and it came with a Penguin 100B. It was disastrous to say the least and at least once a day I was taking it apart and rinsing the impeller to get the pump working again. Today, it finally bit the dust. I replaced it with a new Penguin 100B and twice now I've had to take it apart, mess with the impeller, and put it back together. This filter is becoming a nightmare.

I use sand substrate, but there isn't a correlation between stirring up the sand and the filter stopping. My only other guess is that I had been keeping a smaller, second filter cartridge from my other tank in with the new cartridge for cycling purposes. The tank cycled, but I left the small cartridge in anyway for extra bacteria media. Could this be affecting the filter?

I've taken it out... considering I had to take it apart again just a few minutes ago, and see if it makes a difference.

Anyone have any experience with the Penguin? I read reviews and saw where some people had trouble with it, but the overwhelming responses tended to be positive. I'm starting to question that unless I am missing something...
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

I have the same one and never had a problem with it. How full are you filling the tank?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #3 
MoePaac

This isn't becoming a nightmare... it is one. It just stopped again. This time I didn't press the intake tube or the impeller tube down all the way. Just enough for it to stay put and start working again.

Maybe I just had it pushed in too tightly and it was stopping the impeller?

Still, anyone with experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #4 
MoePaac

Around an inch? Little more, little less?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #5 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePaac View Post
Around an inch? Little more, little less?
An inch from the top of the tank? Or an inch from the lip of the output of the pump?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #6 
MoePaac

About an inch from the top of the aquarium, and the water level is right at the output. I haven't had problems since late last night, but i'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #7 
TheJadeBetta

Oh okay. Usually any marineland pump is so sensitive about how high your water is.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #8 
MoePaac

So you recommend keeping it high? or lowering it a bit?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #9 
TheJadeBetta

I always keep mine high as they can go usually. Which is usually to the rim on the lip of the output.

I have all Marineland pumps on my 55 gallon saltwater tank, one on my 29 gallon tank, and one on my 10 gallon.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #10 
akjadestar

I had this in a used tanktoo... And had no clue how to work it at first. You need to fill the water level high... And prime the filter with lots of water... You have to unplug it first though. If you keep trying to pour more water in when it's on it will just level out again. Get the water high enough so that when it spills out it will touch the base of the bio-wheel, making it spin (I assume that's your problem?)
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote