Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #1 
KBoone

Bowl Covers

I have two Bettas in larger bowls. Due to space restrictions, I will be setting-up a couple of small tanks near them. My concern is that these two guys will be more interested in jumping with more places to jump to. Anyone know where I can find some bowl covers or any other creative solution?

Yes, I've thought about moving them to more easily covered tanks! But my older guy is extremely happy in his bowl. He's very territorial about it (flares like crazy whenever anyone gets near it!) and he's a bubble blowin' fool. It's one of those, "Why mess with a good thing?" situations.

Anyway, I found a guy on etsy that sells an acrylic cover, but I do not like that there are only very tiny airholes around the edge of the cover. I'm looking for something more breathable, but not a metal screen!

Thanks
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #2 
peaches3221

try a kritter keeper!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #3 
KBoone

Thanks, peaches. I have a larger critter keeper that will be housing a new baby in a week or so.

The whole thing was about not entirely changing their environments entirely though.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #4 
akjadestar

I could be wrong, but I think that if you want to cover the bowls, it doesn't matter how big of airholes are in the cover or anything, just as long as the cover doesn't come in direct contact with the water (like, floating right on it)
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #5 
KBoone

I suppose I could try it. I think I'm sometimes far too paranoid about change. O_O

And as a sidenote. . . akjadestar, your cat is almost identical to mine.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #6 
doggyhog

Try getting a few of those little tan footie socks from a shoe store and put them over the top of the bowl. I use those all the time.

Or you can get a piece of Plastic Canvas and cut it to the size you want.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #7 
KBoone

LOL Doggy! So simple. . . But BRILLIANT! Thanks!

The other thing I had worried about with the acrylic tops was water temperature as I use a plant light above these bowls. Not only would the top magnify the light, it would cutdown on air exchange and thus increase the temperature. Makes me nervous.

The footies idea is genius though. Completely breathable and it shouldn't filter too much of the UV.

Last edited by KBoone; 07-20-2010 at 12:02 PM.