Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #1 
PoissonsMom

Possible DRCT pairing.... What do ya'll think?

I wasn't sure about pairing these 2, cuz I didn't think their coloring would mix well... But Hawk apparently has the marble gene, and has a lot of red & orange genetics as well. Vada is still cellophane & purple, with red on her gill plates and pectorals, but has developed tiny purple specks over her body. I would love 2 see what ya'll think about a potential pairing of these 2.....
[IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]
PoissonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

I'd love to see how they turned out
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Colors are fine, although she's a Tricolor not a cellophane which will make a difference in color combinations.

I'm more worried about overall form, granted I know this might not be your intent but it's worth it to look at at least. Just letting you know, this isn't like telling you that your fish are bad, just pointing out some things for you to look at ^_^ I find it's especially important with CT's since they seem to have the worst form of all the tail types. Ideally you want a CT that has a full 180 degree spread which neither of your fish have. The boy looks very young so it's possible he could fill out with age but I doubt his spread will change. They have okay web reduction but ideally you only want around 30% webbing between the rays. You also want the web to be even all around just like the edges of the fins; you don't want the anal fin to be longer than the caudal and you don't want the caudal longer than the dorsal. Make sense?

Something that's more logistics wise; make sure your female isn't too much larger than your male otherwise he will have issues trying to wrap her and you could end up with a spawn that doesn't work out.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #4 
PoissonsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Colors are fine, although she's a Tricolor not a cellophane which will make a difference in color combinations.

I'm more worried about overall form, granted I know this might not be your intent but it's worth it to look at at least. Just letting you know, this isn't like telling you that your fish are bad, just pointing out some things for you to look at ^_^ I find it's especially important with CT's since they seem to have the worst form of all the tail types. Ideally you want a CT that has a full 180 degree spread which neither of your fish have. The boy looks very young so it's possible he could fill out with age but I doubt his spread will change. They have okay web reduction but ideally you only want around 30% webbing between the rays. You also want the web to be even all around just like the edges of the fins; you don't want the anal fin to be longer than the caudal and you don't want the caudal longer than the dorsal. Make sense?

Something that's more logistics wise; make sure your female isn't too much larger than your male otherwise he will have issues trying to wrap her and you could end up with a spawn that doesn't work out.
They r both very young... Around 5mo old. He is actually a little bigger than she is, and neither of them were fully spread, lol. If u look in my albums, Hawk does have a wider tail spread than in the pic in this thread, but he has mellowed a lot since I got him, so he doesn't flare near as much as he used 2. He originally flared at me every time I fed him, but now he only flares at Merlin, lol. Merlin stays flared, but he's a VT anyway (even tho his colors would b more of a match 4 Vada!) I try my best to switch my 3 boys around, so they get more excercise by periodically looking at "new" neighbors! Lol
PoissonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah Hawk, right, this was your Single Ray boy we were discussing ^_^ he still has a very poor spread but it's whatever you want to do, I'm just chiming in as far as breeding and showing standards go.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

The choice is always up to you - despite what anyone else says. Just be warned that crowntails are a lot more tricky, which is the one reason the finnage becomes more important :)

I have a picture attached to show you a cellophane HM (he isn't in full flare) male (currently marbling, so he looks a lot different now!). Cellophane refers to the fins, where they are clear - the body is also usually pale in color. Your little gal is a multi. The result of fry would probably be multis, marbles, etc. Working with marbles I find it a lot more interesting for the end result!
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote