Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #1 
KBoone

For Our Older Betta Friends: Dealing with the Spouse

So, I'm curious to know how some of the spouses of equally obsessed Betta fans deal with this obsession.

God bless mine, he's trying really hard. He sits and looks through all of my "dream Bettas" with me, trying really hard not to roll his eyes. LOL And he completely bites his tongue when I order half a dozen new friends. He even suggested I take up breeding, "If you want that many fish!" He's been a trooper.

So how do your spouses deal with it and have any of you actually managed to bring them to the darkside???
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #2 
kuklachica

HAHAHA I lol'ed when I saw this post. My husband was NOOOOOOOOT happy with me for the first few. He was against the tanks taking up the house. But now I have 4 tanks (all with his reluctant blessing at first) and when i've become overwhelmed on days when a few are sick and suggested giving some away he doesn't want me to! He says he'd miss them too much!! He even talks to them now, comments on their bubble nests, and even surprised me the other day when I showed him a picture of a fish and he said, "Oooh, he has nice dragon scaling. That's a Half-moon plakat, right?" I nearly died. He's actually been listening to me and is *somewhat* interested in what I have to say!! He's come a long way. Definitely no more fish for me though (10 total) since we don't have any more plug space!! But he actually enjoys them now.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #3 
RandomFish

Aww your guys sound so sweet. Mine acts like they don't even exist.

Ironically, his mom was the one who got me interested in bettas because she kept giving them to us and he didn't want to take care of them at all so the responsibility landed on me.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #4 
vaygirl

It's funny how they act like our Dads in the beginning, isn't it?

Steve was the same. When I got the second and said "That's it!", he was like "Good. That's enough space taken up by tanks." and then I got Kilo and Huey he gritted his teeth. He even went so far as to be sad that I was moving Kilo out of the window cause he sits with his laptop at the dining room table right next to that tank.

Now he's still saying that's enough, we have no more room. Which is true if I don't buy a stand. (:P) That's his only legitimate argument. We don't have kids so it's not like I'm taking money from them for it. He knows he can say what he wants and I'll do what I like and that's pretty much the long and short of it. He puts up a big fight but in the end I get just about everything I want. It helps that he loves all animals. The basset hound and I pretty much have him wrapped round our fingers.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #5 
sjones

Ha! If he doesn't like it he knows where the door is!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
and even surprised me the other day when I showed him a picture of a fish and he said, "Oooh, he has nice dragon scaling. That's a Half-moon plakat, right?" I nearly died. He's actually been listening to me and is *somewhat* interested in what I have to say!!
Hahaha!!! That is too funny!!!!

If/when I get married (It's gonna be a looong time, they are just gonna have to deal.. I can't live without my animals..)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #7 
Alexanderismylife

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Hahaha!!! That is too funny!!!!

If/when I get married (It's gonna be a looong time, they are just gonna have to deal.. I can't live without my animals..)
Ditto :]
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #8 
Little Marlin

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexanderismylife View Post
Ditto :]

me to.
if i ever do get married, i will still own all the animals i plan to now.

dream pets.....

1 dalmation
1 pomeranian
2 siamese kitties
LOTS of bettas
1 horse
Maybe a lizard
Little Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #9 
Adastra

My boyfriend used to tease me all the time about my fish and declared (jokingly) that one day he would host a battle royale. But when I had a disaster that caused me to lose 3 bettas within a week, one of which was a girl I'd had for four years--he was totally sympathetic and understanding. God, that was a terrible week.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
ha! If he doesn't like it he knows where the door is!
lol!!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote