Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #31 
TheJadeBetta

I have a two gallon tank that is cycled.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #32 
sarbear

Why wouldn't it be possible? I can't make sense of it, and people seem to believe that you can't, but no one seems to know why. What does the size matter? I'm not trying to be rude, btw, I just want to know what the logic behind it is.
sarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #33 
wallywestisthebest333

It might be considerably more difficult if you do a fish-in cycle or if you do a pure ammonia cycle though. =/

^
l

That's how size matters. if you're doing a fish-in cycle (like most used too) then it's really tough because you have to do multiple daily waterchanges.

you have to do more water changes for the pure ammonia method too.

Partial waterchanges are probably more difficult in smaller tanks while keeping the bacteria happy.

that's just my theory though. I'm still working on starting my cycle for my 5 gallon. =/

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-21-2010 at 05:27 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #34 
sarbear

Um...your last post totally confused me...Doing multiple water changes during a fish in cycle doesn't make cycling a tank impossible.

And doing a pure ammonia fishless cycle means there is no reason to do water changes unless you accidentally dose the ammonia too high, it should stay at 3-5.
sarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #35 
Maryrox247

Well the guy at the fish store (really smart he is not one of those idiots that just say whatever to make you buy a fish) said you cant cycle tanks less than 5 gallons and i read it somewhere. It didn't explain why though honestly.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #36 
Lion Mom

My two 3 gal. Eclipse tanks are cycled. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #37 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
Well the guy at the fish store (really smart he is not one of those idiots that just say whatever to make you buy a fish) said you cant cycle tanks less than 5 gallons and i read it somewhere. It didn't explain why though honestly.
I just don't see why not. No matter the size of the tank if you have food for the bacteria (fish waste or ammonia) and oxygenated water (via the filter), you should get a cycle. Right?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #38 
Oldfishlady

I think and this is just my opinion-that often confusion about cycling in smaller tanks happen due to most of the smaller tank will not have filtration and without the filtration/aeration you will not get a true/stable cycle.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #39 
KBoone

I do agree that you are not going to be able to "cycle" a tank in the traditional since for lack of a filter in a smaller set-up. BUT, I am a firm believer that, if you have a smaller set-up you should have a filter alternative anyway. LIVE PLANTS! They act in the same manner that a filter does in a more natural way. Ammonia becomes nitrites -> bacteria converts them into nitrates -> plants have all kinds of fun eating nitrates and turning them back into all kinds of healthy stuff! In this was a nitrogen cycle does occur and therefore. . . the tank has been "cycled!"

And I always do mine fish in. Something about the plants, but I never get enormous ammonia or nitrite spikes and my fish have never suffered for it. *shrug*

Last edited by KBoone; 07-22-2010 at 09:31 AM.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #40 
Oldfishlady

Very true KBoone, active growing plants will use the ammonia first for food and often in heavy planted tanks you will not get nitrate readings-the indicator or test we use to tell if the tank is cycled.

Be aware that for the plants to function as filtration that the plants must be actively growing and you need more than a couple of plants to do the job, stem plants and floating plants work best IMO/E
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote