Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #21 
JamieTron

my bf has a 29 gallon tank with one of my bettas in it....we have successfully housed danios, numerous tetras, coridoras, siamese algae eater, blue rams chiclids, white clouds. They are all still in there together but I would suggest fish that like different water levels for territories. The betta we have loves the top so we chose middle dwelling and bottom dwelling fish. Nothing that would impose on the bettas personal space...well the white clouds do like to swim around him but they have been with my friend's betta since they were juveniles and then with my bettas for 5 years now and leave him alone. It all depends on your betta, Remus is a very peaceful betta. One of my crowntails JD he hates any fish in with him...he hated my poor cori and beat on him so I had to take him out and put him in with Remus' tank.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #22 
1fish2fish

This is the problem I have. Lots of people can tell you that they have bettas living happily in a community right now.. but I have yet to see someone who had a betta that lived 3-5 years in a community and died of old age. If the fish is not reaching its life expectancy than there is definitely something wrong. A stressed betta will have a lowered immune system which will make it more prone to illness and shorten its life expectancy.

All that said. I for one love non-fish tank mates. I think snails are great in tanks 4+ gallons and snails/shrimp in tanks 6+ gallons. I can even get on board with the ADF thing. Its just fish tank mates that I think are a no-no with bettas.. unless you have a huge tank and you under stock and over plant so the fish has plenty of space to get away.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #23 
RandomFish

I find that the best betta buddies/tank cleaners are PLANTS. Lots and lots of plants! The betta will love to swim through Amazon Swords, take naps on a mattress of java moss, build bubble nests on a sprig of water sprite. The plants will also keep ammonia levels in check in-between water changes.

Indian Almond Leaves (dead plant!) are also great betta buddies.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #24 
JamieTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
This is the problem I have. Lots of people can tell you that they have bettas living happily in a community right now.. but I have yet to see someone who had a betta that lived 3-5 years in a community and died of old age. If the fish is not reaching its life expectancy than there is definitely something wrong. A stressed betta will have a lowered immune system which will make it more prone to illness and shorten its life expectancy.

All that said. I for one love non-fish tank mates. I think snails are great in tanks 4+ gallons and snails/shrimp in tanks 6+ gallons. I can even get on board with the ADF thing. Its just fish tank mates that I think are a no-no with bettas.. unless you have a huge tank and you under stock and over plant so the fish has plenty of space to get away.
I have had a betta for 3 and a half years in a community tank and he is still just as pretty as I had him. However I have a 29 gallon...with lots of decor
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #25 
frogipoi

YAY!! I will get a 5 gallon sometime near my B-day and have a snail! Thanks! *hugs everyone*
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote