Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #11 
Welsh

If they are in small tanks without a filter then you should be changing the water 100% daily or every other day.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #12 
thunderwaved

Is it ok if I give all of them some aquarium salt? If they don't have fin rot, will it do any harm?
thunderwaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #13 
Welsh

I have never used AQ salt for anything other than disease or infection so I can't properly answer this but people do add it to their tanks after a water change to reduce stress and prevent their fish from getting sick but I personally don't see the need to use salt in a tank unless you are treating for disease or infection, plus salt doesn't evaporate so without regular water changes it could harm the fish in the long run.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #14 
RandomFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderwaved View Post
Is it ok if I give all of them some aquarium salt? If they don't have fin rot, will it do any harm?
No, a dose of up to 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon would not harm them. I used this on all of my bettas during their quarantine phase and they're all doing great. Just be sure to dissolve every little bit of the salt in warm, dechlorinated water before adding it to their tank - undissolved salt could burn them.

You may also want to consider ordering some Indian Almond Leaves (joshsfrogs.com has them) or Blackwater Extract. If you Google it, you would see that it's good for their general health because it naturally softens their water and strengthens their scales/fins. A high dosage will turn the water dark though.

Whatever you do, please don't let some pet store employee sell you Melafix - if you go to ultimatebettas.com, there's a thread there about how the key ingredient in Melafix is harmful to the labyrinth organ of anabantoids.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #15 
RandomFish

Sorry to double post - are you using water conditioner? (I'm just askin because I remember you said you're a newbie to betta care.)
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #16 
Welsh

Shame on you double posting :p

Don't use bettafix either cause its the same apparently
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #17 
thunderwaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFish View Post
Sorry to double post - are you using water conditioner? (I'm just askin because I remember you said you're a newbie to betta care.)
Yeah, I'm using this AquaSafe Water Conditioner.
thunderwaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

From what I can see on the pic-IMO it looks like normal coloring, how is he acting, eating etc....
I would keep the water clean by making 100% daily water changes in the small bowl, I wouldn't recommend medicating unless you are sure that something is wrong due to creation of resistant pathogens/parasite from over use, wrong dosage and duration etc...in mild cases of fin rot often the clean dechlorinated water will work by decreasing the number of bad bacteria in the water column and stimulating the immune response so that the Betta can take care of the issue
Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees of old and new water, use dechlorinator with any new water and remove any uneaten food after feeding.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderwaved View Post
One of my betta fish has white tips on the ends of his fins. I just got him a few days ago, is this a case of fin rot?
how are u bettas? take my advice i wrote u before about tetracycline mix

togather with ''fungus eliminator'' by Jungle Clears serious fungus and bacteria .I treated my fish approx 1 year ago than one of my co worker treated w the same meds ,and it survived.of course u has to change all water before u start treating. i also always added aquarium salt during the treatment. write me if u has problem get fungus eliminator ,because not every store have it . my store ordered it for me. write me i might even try to sand u medication if u having a problem get it. u need start treat fish ASAP.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #20 
Ajones108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
how are u bettas? take my advice i wrote u before about tetracycline mix

togather with ''fungus eliminator'' by Jungle Clears serious fungus and bacteria .I treated my fish approx 1 year ago than one of my co worker treated w the same meds ,and it survived.of course u has to change all water before u start treating. i also always added aquarium salt during the treatment. write me if u has problem get fungus eliminator ,because not every store have it . my store ordered it for me. write me i might even try to sand u medication if u having a problem get it. u need start treat fish ASAP.
BUT since no one else here thinks that white-tipped fins is Fin Rot, unless the fins are shrinking and the fish seems lethargic, you DON'T need to treat your fish. Unnecessarily medicating your fish could kill it.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote