Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #31 
RandomFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
If I used regular pea gravel a tank, would the gravel affect the water parameters?
If the gravel passes the vinegar test (i.e. does not fizz when soaked in vinegar), then properly disinfected with potassium permanganate, then rinsed very, very well...then no it wouldn't affect the water parameters.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #32 
JaspersANGEL

I have a question :
Ok I read somewhere on here that u could cut up a pair of panty hose and put it over the intake of the filter and it would keep ur betta's fin's from being sucked in.

well I just did my water changes and that's what I did I dug out a pair of panty hose socks I had and cut 'em up,
yes it does slow the outflow too *youppi*
but does the panty hose over the intake keep the filter from doing it's job, from sucking out all the bacteria...
do u have to rinse it everytime u do a water change...
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #33 
Jayy

Ok I also have a quick question. How do I get a avatar?? I don't understand the process. I don't have any pics so I was hoping to use one I saw on aquabid,google, betty splendens, or another fish website. So please help me out.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #34 
BunniesLair

Hi Jay,

I think I can actually help you on this one! In the User CP at the top of the screen, you will find an option under Setting Options: Edit Avatar. Click that.

A new screen will appear with a blank area that says "your current avatar", under that will be two options.

If you want to use a photo from anther site - you need to make sure it is 200 pixels by 200 pixels or smaller - or it will not work. A thumbnail photo should work.

Once you have found a photo you like, that is the right size; right click on the photo and choose "copy image location".

Then come back to user CP and paste that location into Option 1. and save.
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #35 
Miss W

I'm new and trying to research before I buy a tank. I am a school teacher and my principal has given me the thumbs up to purchasing a tank, a betta, and necessary supplies (she said she'd even pay for it!). My question is about a filter. She said that whatever I get needs to be unplugged at night. Will that be a problem for the betta's health? I don't want to do anything to harm it.
Miss W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #36 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss W View Post
I'm new and trying to research before I buy a tank. I am a school teacher and my principal has given me the thumbs up to purchasing a tank, a betta, and necessary supplies (she said she'd even pay for it!). My question is about a filter. She said that whatever I get needs to be unplugged at night. Will that be a problem for the betta's health? I don't want to do anything to harm it.
If your going to have to unplug the filter I just wouldn't get it. There's no reason to get a filter unless you plan to cycle the tank (create beneficial bacteria that reduce toxic waste) and you can't cycle unless you keep the filter plugged in 24/7. You don't really need a filter.

The big problem your going to have is heating. A betta needs to be at 78-80* all the time and its going to be coldest at night (especially in winter), without a heater your fish will have a compromised immune system and shortened lifespan. Is there any way you could be allowed to just keep a heater plugged in at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaspersANGEL View Post
I have a question :
Ok I read somewhere on here that u could cut up a pair of panty hose and put it over the intake of the filter and it would keep ur betta's fin's from being sucked in.

well I just did my water changes and that's what I did I dug out a pair of panty hose socks I had and cut 'em up,
yes it does slow the outflow too *youppi*
but does the panty hose over the intake keep the filter from doing it's job, from sucking out all the bacteria...
do u have to rinse it everytime u do a water change...
The filter doesn't really suck in the bacteria, it aerates the water and takes up some particles in the water. What I do is rinse the pantyhose out with every water change and leave them off for an hour after the change (when a lot of "dust" will float around before everything settles back down) then put the pantyhose back on.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #37 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
The filter doesn't really suck in the bacteria, it aerates the water and takes up some particles in the water. What I do is rinse the pantyhose out with every water change and leave them off for an hour after the change (when a lot of "dust" will float around before everything settles back down) then put the pantyhose back on.
i have never heard of this. i dont mean to sound childish but... (pantyhose) really?? does it actually work?.

i dont think i would ever do this:) because some of us on here are male and apparently dont use pantyhose and are single lol.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #38 
JKfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFish View Post
If the gravel passes the vinegar test (i.e. does not fizz when soaked in vinegar), then properly disinfected with potassium permanganate, then rinsed very, very well...then no it wouldn't affect the water parameters.
Potassium permanganate? what's that?

------

I got two red plastic rice bowls for my tank I'm setting up, and it seems like the gold designs are painted on... I was able to scratch some gold residue off, and onto my fingernail when I was trying to figure out if the gold was paint or not. If I put those in the tank, would the paint flake off and kill my fish?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #39 
1fish2fish

Pantyhose does work and I don't see how being male has anything to do with it. No one is saying wear them.. they are incredibly useful if you want to keep your fish's fins from getting sucked in and shredded by a filter.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #40 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Pantyhose does work and I don't see how being male has anything to do with it. No one is saying wear them.. they are incredibly useful if you want to keep your fish's fins from getting sucked in and shredded by a filter.
yes your right but which male will ever go into a store and buy pantyhose? im sorry if i insulted someone but its a little more to it than that.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote