Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #51 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Ah. Yes that's much better! =] Thanks.

Sorry. I know it's annoying when people have to ask you to repost stuff. =[

So yeah I stick to my previous statement. I think you should be doing at least every other day 100% water changes. Sorry. =[

Unless you somehow cycled your 1 gallon?
IT IS NOT A 1 GALLON TANK!!!it is a 4 gallon tank but when i bought it the box said that it was a 1.5 gallon tank.1.5 gallons is half of 1 gals...

so that means i do less water changes than i would than if it was a half gallon or a 1 gallon.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #52 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
1.5 gallons is half of 1 gals...
What?

And I'm confused, are you saying your tank is 4 gallons but was incorrectly labeled as 1.5? If so why would you say it was a 1.5...
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #53 
jeanclaudeasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbdaemon View Post
Hello,

I just purchased a new Betta yesterday and now that I'm reading more, like finding out that I need to completely clean the fish bowl every day to keep him healthy and that I need to spend more money to buy a heater and bigger fish tank (tbh, i'm not sure what size my tank is, i bought it from walmart for around $7 and it didn't say anywhere but i think its 1-2g?) and possibly buy a filter and a bunch of stuff to start the cycling... its all beginning to be a bit overwhelming to be honest!

Once I get things sorted out and get a pattern down does everything get easier and smoother? If I use a 2-5g tank how much would it cost on average to get a filter and setup the cycle (I'm trying to decide if I want a filter or not).

Has anyone been in my situation recently that could give some advice?
Alright as for the number of gallons your current tank actually is you can either fill a gallon milk jug all of the way and see how many it take to fill your tank (with the decorations and everything else removed from the tank), you can also use what I use when I am cleaning my tanks which is a gallon pitcher.
Yes as you figure out a pattern and the easiest way to to things it does get easier, at least I have found it easier.

As for how much a filter costs, that really depends on what kind of filter you want to get and how much your willing to spend. once the filter is purchased its fairly low maintenance, after I bought my first filter, the replacement carbon pouches averaged about $3 a month. Over all with a 10 gallon and two 2 gallon tanks I spent an average of maybe $6 a month between food, conditioner, and carbon replacements for the filter.

The size of your tank will determine how often you need to do water changes, the smaller the tank, the more frequent the water changes.

Yes it can be overwhelming I recently upgraded to a 29 gallon tank and found it slightly overwhelming simply because of the size.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #54 
jeanclaudeasher

Alright I have a question, I have a 29 gallon tank which has 1 betta, 3 neon tetras, 1 headlight tail light tetra, a bristlenose sucker fish and 2 glass catfish (thanks for incorrect information Petsmart).

My question is can I add more glass catfish to my tank without overcrowding the tank? If so how many more can I add?
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #55 
Maryrox247

Sounds like you can :)

DeadSunlight and I are breeding our bettas and we were wondering how you tell there are eggs in the bubblenest? About 50% of the bubbles are cloudy. (Like white)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #56 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
What?

And I'm confused, are you saying your tank is 4 gallons but was incorrectly labeled as 1.5? If so why would you say it was a 1.5...
i was saying it sarcastically:) lol its 4 gallons:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 AM   #57 
jmtriro01

Question:

i'm planning to have a sorority, and i really want to have one. is it okay to put a partition to a 10gal tank (one part is around 3 gal and other is 7 gal), and place the sorority on the larger part and one male in the smaller one? im dying to buy females and i also want to get another male. im planning to get 4 females for this sorority...
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #58 
Miss W

Can someone direct me to threads that can instruct me on how to set up a new tank properly, and introducing the new fish to it. I will be a 1st time fish owner and want to do it correctly.
Thanks!
Miss W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #59 
BunniesLair

Ditto on Miss w's request - I would love this information as well!
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #60 
CayennePepper

Miss W, Bunnieslair, have you read the Betta Fish Care sticky up at the top of the forum? It has a lot of good information including tank equipment suggestions and dietary needs. In addition I would do a search on the forum for your specific questions (for example, do a search for minimum tank size, betta food, etc.). I also highly recommend checking this blog which I have found pretty helpful: http://nippyfish.blogspot.com/. I've found that the post from 12/23/2009 is particularly helpful.
As far as a specific thread that answers that question, I haven't found one myself, but I'm sure someone else here knows.
Miss W I'm really glad that you want to do this for your students (never was there an animal in any of my classes growing up). I think you're doing something awesome! Good luck.
CayennePepper is offline   Reply With Quote