Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #21 
vaygirl

We're just trying to help. We're really not trying to separate you from your money. We're not benefiting from the info we're giving you so I think you can trust us.

A five gallon is a nice deal eventually. Even kritter keepers work as great betta tanks and they're really, really cheap and easy to handle because they're light. You can even put a heater in them when you need one. They'll run you maybe 10 bucks?

Don't blame him for the money you're shelling out. He didn't exactly jump into your purse and follow you home. :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #22 
JosShavaughn

This is all true. I didn't HAVE to buy him. I just kind of thought I had everything I needed and got frustrated when I realized I needed to spend more money. I only started out w/ $29 to last me until... whenever I can get more money, which may not be until the 1st.

I'm glad to know that Zombie really is a boy and that I guessed right. Always feels good when you can guess something like that.

I like the size of the 10 gallon tank, but I'll check out the 5 gallon at walmart and see which one I like better, which one is better for plants, etc. I do want to get him some places to hide and sleep and such, but again, that will have to wait until next month.

Now as for looking for filters, heaters, decorations, etc. Where's a good place to look online? I am looking at pet smart right now, but we all know they're best known for dogs and cats.
JosShavaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #23 
vaygirl

I usually use google's shopping tab once I have the name of what I want and try and find the best price there. LinensNThings online has fish stuff and a lot of times they run cheapest because they'll ship for 99 cents.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #24 
JosShavaughn

Okay. So I found bigalsonline.com.

So what watt-age heater do I need? They're cheaper than I thought they would be.
I saw on the forum for the pictures of people's tanks a 3.5 gallon tank, and I really liked the size of that one. I think that would be a good middle of the road house for Zombie. I mean, it's not fair to the rest of us for him to jump from an efficiency to an mansion! lol.

And what's this Floating Betta Log I saw on Petsmart? Is that good or just something for inexperienced people that betta's don't even really like? I found some other little "buildings" that are Greek inspired, those look neat. I want something that Zombie can completely hide in if he feels like it. Like if someone comes over that he's scared of, he can go hide.

And give me some advice on pumps/filters. I read not to get too strong of a pump because betta's don't like strong currents, so what's too strong and what's just right?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

Look on craigslist and buy used.......

Keeping a Betta can be as expensive as you want or lower cost.......both ways you can end up with a Betta that thrives or just survives...spending lots of money doesn't mean the Betta will live a better life-when the most important thing is missing......quality care........

What I am saying is that there are many different ways to keep fish and just because you spent 20 buck on something that could have cost 5 bucks doesn't make it better or worse.....

This is a great hobby and success doesn't have to cost you an arm & leg........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #26 
XSprinkleFaceX

I was gonna reccomend BigAl's. They have good quality and good prices since they're an aquarium depot. I have one next to my house and it's never failed me. There employees are also pretty experienced.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #27 
vaygirl

I think 25 watt is fine? I'm not positive cause all my tanks are 5g or higher. Someone else can chime in hopefully. Something for him to hide in is great. They like that. They'll even kinda play hide and seek with you. Or at least one of mine does.

Some bettas like that log thing and some don't, so it's hit or miss. They do like to 'rest' on stuff. They can be lazybones. You won't need an air pump, so save your money there. Bettas breathe mostly from the surface so they don't need their water as highly oxygenated as other fish. It's really an aesthetic choice though. You can get one if you want the bubbles. Just tie a knot in the tubing and tighten it so the bubbles don't push him around too much.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #28 
XSprinkleFaceX

Probably the lowest wattage which is a 25 watt i think? would work for a 3.5G.

As for the betta log, they do like them along with the betta hammock (which i want, my fish has an obsession with suction cups like the one for his thermometer o.O). I saw the Greek pillars and stuff at petsmart and i absolutly love them. They should be good. For decoration just use your judgement :) your betta would love anything as long as he can lay and/or hide in it.

Dont forget to buy silk plants not plastic since betta fins are very sensitive. On bigAlsonline.com you can get a variety pack of neon silk plants (comes with 3 plants) for 4.99 or maybe less.

As for the pumps, if the 3.5G comes with a filter, use it and if you see its pushing your fish around, baffle it (on the forum they have a tutorial on how to do that which may or may not work for your fish depending on how curious he is.)

Fish keeping doenst need to be expensive. You just need to be a smart shopper. Online shopping, garage sales, sales in stores are all good ways to get good things and save money at the same time.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #29 
JosShavaughn

It's looking like I'll have to go w/ a 5g. I can't seem to find a 3.5g. I did find a 5g (i think) on big al's that comes w/ a light and filter for like $35. Then I would just need the heater which is $14, and then decorations, and probably some more gravel. I got two small packets of gravel, and I don't think it's enough to cover a 5g. I was hoping I could find a 3.5g for like $20, but I'm just not finding one. I've freecycled for fish supplies, we'll see if anyone responds. I'm hoping some parent has some stuff laying around from after their kid's fish died. That's probably terrible, but it's true.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #30 
XSprinkleFaceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosShavaughn View Post
It's looking like I'll have to go w/ a 5g. I can't seem to find a 3.5g. I did find a 5g (i think) on big al's that comes w/ a light and filter for like $35. Then I would just need the heater which is $14, and then decorations, and probably some more gravel. I got two small packets of gravel, and I don't think it's enough to cover a 5g. I was hoping I could find a 3.5g for like $20, but I'm just not finding one. I've freecycled for fish supplies, we'll see if anyone responds. I'm hoping some parent has some stuff laying around from after their kid's fish died. That's probably terrible, but it's true.
Hmm did you try PetSmart or even ebay/amazon/kraigslist? OR Maybe its cheaper to buy a 3.5G and than a filter.
If it adds up to the same, purchase the 5G since it's a better deal. At walmart they have heaters for around 11.99$.
Good luck with the freecycling btw. :)