Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #91 
frogipoi

How do you cycle?
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #92 
mjbn

there are many ways to cycle, most recommended fishless cycle. You can buy pure ammonia, feed the tank fish food, put raw shrimp in kneehigh pantyhose, or some other stuff. hah but you basically let ammonia spike, then drop, and keep it at a steady 3.0 or 4.0 and then let nitrIte spike, and drop, then last, let nitrAte spike. You know you have cycled correctly when your ammonia reads 0, nitrites read 0, EVEN when you add more fish food/ammonia/etc and you have a nitrate reading. You then do a water change depending on how high your nitrates are. This is just a general description.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #93 
1fish2fish

yeah your plants should be fine with that...

I'm working on a cycling article right now. I'll try to post it soon, I'm still doing research for it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #94 
JKfish

thanks 1fish2fish :)

Okay, so I was talking with my mom about how I wanted to get the stuff needed to make a home made gravel vac/syphon, and my mom thinks for a moment, then goes and finds this old gravel vac that we apparently had for an old fish tank. It's an Easy Clean thing, with the tubing about 1/2 an inch width, and a big long tube thing that the tubing connects to on one side with the other side being open. (seesh, I'm so specific aren't I... big tube thing, little tube thing... lol XD )

How do I use it?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #95 
vaygirl

Put the big tube thing(Lol!) down in the gravel and then suck on the little tube til water starts to flow. There's a less water swallowing way to prime the tube but I'm terrible at it. You'll swallow water. We all swallow water. Drop the little tube thing(LOL!) end in an empty bucket and then just keep lifting the tube out of the gravel and grinding it back down in. You'll see debris start to move up the tube into the bucket and your gravel will kinda roll around the bottom of the tube... thing. :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #96 
RandomFish

^ Everyone except me that is! If water changes required me to swallow water containing fish waste, I would drop this hobby like a hot potato.

So if you're pathetically squeamish like me, this is a suck-free way to start suction on a siphon:

1.) Tightly cover the hole on the small tube with your thumb, making sure no air can escape. Hold the large tube vertically in your other hand.

2.) Then fill the large tube to the rim with water. (It can be aquarium water or tap water...I prefer water from the tap just because it's less messy.)

3.) Still keeping the small end covered with your thumb and holding the larger tube vertically, raise the larger tube to a level above the smaller end. Gently swirl the larger tube to allow any air to bubble up. It helps a lot if you let the middle of the hose gently tap against a counter as you swirl the larger end. The larger tube should now only be partially filled with water.

4.) Still holding the larger tube vertically and keeping the smaller tube covered, immerse the larger tube into the aquarium, open end facing up. Allow air to bubble out, then invert. Now you place the smaller tube in a bucket (try not to let it fall out of the bucket, otherwise you'll have a wet floor) and remove your thumb from the end. The water should start siphoning into the bucket.

^ If you find it hard to visualize the above directions, here's a nice video demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_44...eature=related

Note: Be sure to not let the bucket overflow. ;)

Last edited by RandomFish; 07-24-2010 at 11:50 PM.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #97 
1fish2fish

I've only gotten water in my mouth a couple times (and with a gazillion tanks I think that's a pretty good track record). I just stick the thing in there, suck on the end until I see the water coming down (usually about the time where it comes over the edge of the aquarium) then I put the end in the bucket.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #98 
Maryrox247

I have never used a siphon myself (Grandpa does that once in a blue moon for my tanks.) Reason: I DONT WANNA SWALLOW POO WATER! lol!! yeah i will soon though... i hope it doesnt get in my mouth lol.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #99 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I've only gotten water in my mouth a couple times (and with a gazillion tanks I think that's a pretty good track record). I just stick the thing in there, suck on the end until I see the water coming down (usually about the time where it comes over the edge of the aquarium) then I put the end in the bucket.
Yup - that's how I do it too!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #100 
JKfish

Thanks, I think I'll try both ways, and figure out which one works the best, thanks :)

--

Another question (gosh, I use this waaaaayy too much :P)

Last night, I washed out my black gravel, and added it to my tank. After a few hours, it got really, really murky, so I used a cup to do a 100% water change. I came down this morning, and it was murkey again, so I did another 100% water change. It's STILL murkey, albeit a bit less than before. Mom isn't letting me do any more water changes in the tank I"m setting up, because it's wasting too much water. Is there anything I can do to de-murkify it?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote