Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #1 
Maryrox247

Question cycling a 1 gallon?

I know how to cycle a tank but i have never done a 1 gallon before or a fishless cycle. So how to a cycle a 1 gallon without fish?
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #2 
Adastra

A 1 gallon tank is too small for a cycle to be stable in it--the ammonia would build up too fast with not enough water to dilute it--one gallons are also too small to have a proper filter that doesn't have too much flow. You and your betta will be better off with water changes every other day. I really don't recommend one gallon containers because they don't provide the betta with adequate space to excercise or provide any environmental enrichment. They are also too small to heat with a quality heater. Even if the water is pristine, these containers are too small to be suitable permanent homes.

The smallest tank I've maintained a cycle in was 2.5G--and that was with a lot of very porous gravel and a ton of java moss. The filter also had a lot of extra filter floss in it--I took the biowheel out of it and filled the outlet area with ceramic rings, and topped it with a few layers of 50 micron filter sponge. It helped buffer the flow and added more surfaces for the bacteria to colonize.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-24-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

I agree a one gallon is too small, BUT a one gallon can be filtered. They make some EXTREMELY small internal filters these day. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #4 
Maryrox247

it is filtered :)
Old 07-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #5 
FloridaBettas239

I have 2). 1 gallon acrylic tanks with a under gravel filter. I have went a month without changing the water, because I was out of state I'm not telling you to go that long. Anyway I came home after a month and figured the water would be nasty. So I got my test kit out before I did the water change because my dad was like look how clear it is compared to the other tank. So I tested it and everything was good. These tanks are them 10 dollar walmart things that have a little hood and air pump with a under gravle filter. These tanks have been going 8 months with weekly water changes of 50% and everything has been good and been cycled the whole time. Even going that 1 month without a change and the tanks were Still good. The reason why my dad said the one tank look so clear is because the other tank my mom kept leaving the light on longer than the one tank and it was growing a Little algea So it looked a little dirty. Also with the under gravle filter I got plenty of room for plants. There not real but there plants.

Anyway what type of filter?
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #6 
Maryrox247

i dont know exactly what it is called but it comes with the aqeon minibow1 kit.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:35 AM   #7 
FloridaBettas239

Yeah you can cycle it, I would go get some of that bacteria supplement and add with the water to help speed up the cycle and less stress on the fish. Be careful to not over feed so you don't get ammonia spikes. Also you can buy a gold mystery snail to help keep the tank clean and they slowly bring ammonia down.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote