Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #1 
Noko

Question What Happened?

Well, one of my sorority members died today. She looked perfectly fine the other day other than the fact she wasn't eating. I never got to see what was wrong with her because I am no where near my aquariums today.

So right now here is what I know:
She wasn't eating and was staying towards the bottom.
She was bloated, but not terribly bloated like she would pop.
When my dad found her, she looked like someone was eating her. She either burst or was eaten. So if it's parasites, will my others get it now?

I just want to know what happened maybe. She was indeed the top betta and I am now afraid the other three will kill each other before I have time to separate them. This week just hasn't been a good fish week for me. I had a platy die the other day of unknown causes other than maybe ich which had been treated several times and the temperature was indeed raised.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #2 
Adastra

When you have a group of very aggressive fish, you should separate weak individuals as soon as you notice that they are ill. It is instinctual for the rest of the fish in the tank to prey upon the weakest individuals. It's possible she has been getting beaten up on for awhile, the bloating may not necessarily have been parasites or organ failure--it could have been constipation that was exacerbated by the other girls' aggression. There's no way to really tell at this point, unfortunately. I would just watch your girls very, very closely for any signs of sickness. A good thorough gravel vacuuming would probably be good, too.

Sorry for your loss.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #3 
Noko

I did a 50% water change on Tuesday, but I will be sure to do another good vacuuming soon.

She looked 100% fine last time I saw her which was Thursday other than the fact she wasn't eating. No fin issues no scratches. She was the top, and was the top fish until the moment she died. I don't think the girls attacked her until she was dead.

I'm separating the girls sometime this week as planned for awhile. I just couldn't do it because I had 4.

My dad has been watching them the last few days and today we did a search while on the phone. He said there was no pine-coning and the bloat just looked like she was eating too much. I actually think I'm just going to take everything out of my tank except for the gravel and vacuum until there is just a bit of water left.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #4 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noko View Post
She looked 100% fine last time I saw her which was Thursday other than the fact she wasn't eating.
Hi there. Sorry for your loss. The fact she wasn't eating was a sign that she wasn't her normal self. Could have been due to many things (stress from water parameters, stress from other bettas, internal parasites, constipation...). Good luck! Hope your other fish are doing well and that this is an isolated case.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote