Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #1 
Amour

Fiddler Crab?

Today at Wally World they had Fiddler Crabs! So I bought one. I read up on the little guys and found out that they need a place to come up for air and love climbing. So my husband took a little square of plexyglass and used some aquarium silicone to glue a little platform at the top of my ten gallon for the little guy, and got a piece of that plastic netting that you use to do cross stitch with yarn, and made a little ladder for him.

It's so fun watching Crab People climb up the ladder and sit on his little platform. I read that they like freeze dried shrimp, and we happened to have some because once upon a time before Ninja Dude we tried to keep goldfish in a 1.5 gallon. (We took them back and got a bigger tank for Ninja Dude so don't gasp in horror!)

So he goes up there and hangs out a lot. Maggie my little girl betta is a VERY curious betta. She always has to know what's going on everywhere. We tried keeping a snail in her tank but she was picking on him. So we put this crab in there, and she gets really curious about him all the time, but he just puts his claws up and she backs away from him.

I don't think either of them will be eating each other.

So was this a good idea?

What are some other fish that I could put in there? She loves making new friends.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Fiddler crabs need brackish eater and need to be kept in pairs, that is what Ive read.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #3 
Welsh

Watch out for her fins because the crab may snip them with his claws.

There was a fiddler crab in my LFS a bright purple one which looked like an ornament and then it started moving and the people around out screamed haha but I had no clue what a crab needed so I didn't get it :(
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #4 
Amour

Although Maggie is curious about Crab People, they both tend to avoid each other. In fact, Crab People is scared of Maggie and just runs away from her.

Crab People likes his new home I think. They just keep life interesting for each other.

Maggie's a tough girl. She takes care of herself pretty well. I've come to the conclusion that her crab is the only pet she won't beat up.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote