Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #1 
Micherie

Question My Betta Journey and Thoughts On Filterless Live Tank

My Betta journey, since I got him in March, has been a huge 'learn the hard way' experience.

I had been wanting a Betta for some time and just I jumped right in one day thinking he could live small, but couldn't stand to see him suffering in just one gallon of water. Next came the used tank/filter/decor and a week of sterilizing and discovering that the decor I bought the used tank for couldn't be used. Bought more 'silk' decor and it shredded his fins so I broke down and bought real plants even though I was convinced they would die in my house. The first heater and first filter quit within a week of use. Then he started biting and got an infection and had to be quarantined. Two weeks into quarantine he was nearly killed when the 1 gallon "submersible" heater began to melt in the bowl, causing it to foam over and smoke. How he survived that I will never know. Second filter took a **** because I forgot to unplug it before I stirred up sand with a water change. His tank never did cycle even after weeks and weeks of effort, so I tried the food method. I put tons of food in the tank and waited a week or more and the ammonia level never went up. Nitrite/Nitrate never registered either.

After the second filter died I wanted to give up. I had already spent $300 on him and was at my wits end so I decided, "Screw it. I'm going filter-less. I am not spending one more penny on this fish." I moved him back into the tank and went back to my old routine of 50% water changes every day and 100% water changes once a a week and lo and behold, he is thriving with new fin growth and the water is testing very low for ammonia even after a day or more with no change. I think I have the plants to thank for that.

I don't know how I feel about this. I mean... after what I've been through and the money I've spent it's hard to be happy about it, but at the same time I am very glad that he is happy and doing well finally. My only concern at this point is that my heater will burn up with out circulation and I'm still not convinced that the plants are doing all that well.

Has anyone else gone this route? I'd like to hear your stories or opinions on the subject.

This is what he's got going on right now:

5 gallon tank
mopani wood
1 java lace fern plant
1 crypt wendtii plant
"instant aquarium" sand
blue glass transformer cover
homemade hammock
aqueon pro 50 heater
15w incandescent overhead light (12 hours per day)
Micherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #2 
Betta Nut

If I were to go filterless, I'd add some stemmed plants like anacharis, hornwort, wisteria, brazillian pennywort, moneywort.. these types feed off the water column. Also floaters like frogbit, salvinia, duckweed, these all have roots that drop down and filter the water as well.

You could also get a sponge filter... not much can go wrong with those! (and they're cheap)
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #3 
Micherie

I'll look into them, thanks!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Sponge filters for the win, lol! :)

I feel your pain. I started out with cheap filters and cheap heaters...(not saying that yours were cheap, but mine sure were, lol!) and the filters were crap and stopped working almost immediately (On that point, if it was me, I'd definitely try to return the filter and heater, they should NOT malfunction like that after such a short time! If the store won't refund you, definitely try the manufacturer!), and the heaters just weren't strong enough for the tanks.

So, then I tried no filters and no plants...and did lots of water changes. Well, in 10g aquariums this gets old very quickly. Also, cycling scared and confused me until I actually figured out what was going on and how the process worked...and then I was in business. ;)

I finally found good heaters at good prices (I've got several aqueons as well, they're great heaters and won't burn up due to lack of circulation.), and switched over to sponge filters. I love sponge filters! Cheap, just about nothing can go wrong other than if something happens to your air pump (again, cheap), and they're pretty tough. :)

On the plants, I second Betta Nut, stem plants are really easy, and will do a great deal for your water quality. I'll also add in cardamine, myrio, and java moss to Nut's list as easy planted or floater options.

Most plants do appreciate a small amount of current, and a simple sponge filter will help with that process without the issues that you've dealt with previously. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Positioning your heater horizontally will create a thermal current to keep it from overheating. It warms the tank better. And you don't have to worry about turning it off for water changes.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...torial-318602/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #6 
Micherie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Positioning your heater horizontally will create a thermal current to keep it from overheating. It warms the tank better. And you don't have to worry about turning it off for water changes.

Awesome! Doing it NOW!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post

I had never thought about it, but this absolutely makes sense. The warmer water rises and the cooler water sinks, which as the cooler is then heated the cycle continues. One of those lightbulb moments where I suddenly feel really silly for not having realized it beforehand... :)

As always, Hallyx to the rescue! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filterless, live, planted