Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #11 
Blue Fish

Photos of my 3 week-old 5g acrylic half-hex. Violet is my female betta who lives there, she was retired from the sorority due to her age (2yrs).

(Hello! LOL!)

This tank contains:

Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #12 
appleandpebble

the Tropica website actually gives A LOT of information about setting up a tank etc.

here's the link to the easy plants: http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/difficulty/easy.aspx

and here's the link for basic info (everything you need to know when you start)
http://www.tropica.com/en/tropica-ab...knowledge.aspx

substrate for plants information: http://www.tropica.com/en/plant-care...substrate.aspx
appleandpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #13 
Micherie

Immensely, thank you!
Micherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #14 
Micherie

You guys have some pretty awesome planted tanks!! Kinda makes me want to get a bigger one, but maybe later in the year. Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #15 
fishyface323

this is so helpful!!!
fishyface323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #16 
KatNDog292

I have a Java Fern in my tank. It grows pretty fast though, kinda took over :P started growing baby Javas last summer!
KatNDog292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #17 
Tree

Awsome info Blue Fish! Hey I do have a question. how often do you clean your 2 gallons tanks? I clean mine every sunday but I fear I am cleaning to much. I do 50% water changes.

back to the topic. I have a dwarf lily plant and it grows so well! I also have a sword plant in the other 2.6 gallon that is thriving. I tend not to do so well with the floaters like hornwort and Ancharis. strange eh? but I tend to like to have them planted on the ground when they like to float and when I clean they come out of the soil. x_x so the heavy rooted plants are my favorite to work with.

there is one plant I REALLY want but I have no room for. XD
http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....iful_p_28.html
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:53 AM   #18 
Micherie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post

there is one plant I REALLY want but I have no room for. XD
http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....iful_p_28.html

I have one of those in my 5 gallon. It's still pretty new so we'll see how big it will get. I'm super low tech and still not fertilizing yet. But... it only melted for a day or so and it now seems really healthy, so we'll see!!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 AM   #19 
Blue Fish

Thanks Tree! :)

I have one of the wendtii...maybe two of these? One is still fairly small and suffered a bit from a transplant, but is making a comeback. The other is larger...unless I'm mistaken and it's another version of this...lol, you'd think I'd remember. ;) I just re-did my 40g and I have trouble remembering what I put in there.

I totally agree about the roots...things that don't like to stay rooted while cleaning are a major pain. I generally just stay away from them, figuring that any waste material near their tiny root system is helping them root in...and I'm leaving it alone. ;)

I actually took down the 2g after a month because it got so dense that I couldn't get in there. :P Part of it was the shape, because of it being a cookie jar the thing was slightly narrower in the top than at the base...and between the plants and the driftwood...I could barely get the vacuum in there. :P I do plan to replant it and maybe put some shrimp or something in, but I'm waiting on a moss order before I get that started. :)

I don't think I'd take out 50% of the water once a week...is it heavily planted enough to have a silent cycle, or is it filtered/cycled? If it's NOT, then yeah, the changes are probably about right, but if it's maintaining any sort of a cycle, you really don't need to clean that much, that often. I'd just spot clean the "open" gravel areas and around anything that's not going to be uprooted, and then stop.

In terms of general cleaning, I mostly just spot-clean about once every two weeks unless there seems to be a lot of gunk at the substrate level. I attempted to clean the 2g once during that month, and it was ready to be cleaned again when I took it down. If you've got plants that are cleaner, and I you're *really* careful about feeding *only* what the fish is going to eat, you can get away with cleaning less. One of my 20g's is going on almost two months now, but it's mostly rosette and crypt plants, two bettas, and two mystery snails, so they keep everything pretty clean on their own. The plants and the filter back up keep my water params at 0's, so other than topping off to replenish nutrients and evaporated water, I only substrate clean as needed for gunk...or once a month, whichever comes first. I'm behind on that one, it should really get cleaned monthly.

The sorority I really have to clean about once a week because there's a lot of dropped food. I overfeed because I worry about everyone getting enough to eat...so I have to get that out of the substrate before it turns to gunk. :P

As if that wasn't a convoluted answer, lol! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #20 
Dragon41214

I started out with an ornamental aquarium until I bought a rock with Annubias anchored to it. That is how I got started ;). My betta is housed in a 6 gal Edge it cycled in three days after adding BB and a live plant. (I test it frequently because it just seemed too easy) I decided to use rhizome's because I didn't want to start over with a different substrate. I ordered a Marimo that came in over the weekend, I added larger leaf variety Annubias, and some Anacharis that is floating in my tank. My water is crystal clear the levels are perfect and my Betta loves his plants. My next project will be making a java moss wall to hide the black stand behind his aquarium it creates a mirror effect and drives him crazy for hours! I haven't upgraded any light fixtures or fertilized and I have seen new growth in all my plants the Anacharis is beginning to grow roots.

Last edited by Dragon41214; 04-21-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Dragon41214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
planted aquarium, planted tank