Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #1 
Piyoteru

Bought some colored gravel from a pet store and...

... they smelt like chemicals after I soaked them in hot water!

I don't even know if I can even trust stuff that claims to be 'aquarium safe' anymore. I've been using them for a week before discovering this, luckily I'm cycling this tank separately now. But since I've had plants and terracotta in them, what should I do with those? I'd hate to throw them away, but I suspect that not much has leeched into them, the plants are growing beautifully in the short week they where in with the gravel.

Next time I'll go for the slightly pricier glass ones... those actually look a lot nicer and are less chunky.
Piyoteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #2 
shellieca

I have some decorations that smell but I can only smell it when I take them out of the water. I've had no issues, my fish are fine.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #3 
southernsweety13

When I buy/use colored or any gravel, I put them is a strainer and run the under the facet for at least 5 minutes. You should be fine, just rinse the gravel in the future.
I hope this helped any, good luck.
southernsweety13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #4 
Piyoteru

I did rinse and soak the gravel very thoroughly when I first bought it, but in the end it still smelt of chemicals. I've removed the rest of it today - it doesn't have that 'fish tank' smell, it smells like spray paint, nail polish or plastic fumes. You know, the kind of smell that toxic things have.

It was very cheap gravel though, and I think I'll avoid unnatural gravel from now on. It's just too much trouble for me to find out which one won't leech stuff into my tank.
Piyoteru is offline   Reply With Quote