Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #1 
jmetal

wondering about my cycled tank

ok...i've cycled my 10 gal tank to where the readings for ammonia and nitrites are 0. i put my betta in and after a few days i tested the water and the nitrite reading was kinda high so i did about a 75% water change. I tested it again just to make sure the water change was good enough. yet the nitrites was even higher...off the chart high. is it suppose to do that? or did i do something wrong when i did the cycle. i removed my boy and waited a few days to see if the nitrites would go done. it went back down to 0 and i did a 50% water change. tested it and yet again the reading was off the chart. does that mean i have to redo the whole cycle again? how i did the cycle was the fish out 10% ammonia.

any help would be great. thanks
jmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #2 
Sathori

I'm not too sure what may be the problem, but I have a few questions that may help the next person that may have answers:

Are you using test strips, or liquid tests?
Have you tested for Nitrates (not nitrites)? If so, what are the readings on Nitrates?
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Persistent nitrite is such a pain. It happens sometimes. Your nitrite-oxidizing bacteria need to catch up. Try dosing just 1.0ppm ammonia. Let that drop to 0.0ppm and wait two days before dosing again.

Come back here and tell us what happened.

What is your pH, btw?

Oh, don't worry about nitrate for now
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #4 
mart

One other thing, if you are using liquid test, are you shaking the bottle to death before using?
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #5 
jmetal

thanks for replying everyone.

i'm using the api freshwater master kit (liquid)

so when i read your responses this morning i did a dose of about 1ppm ammonina. i also did a reading for the nitrites and made me wanna hit myself cuz i was thinking of testing before adding just to see what would happen. nitrite was just shy of 2ppm so i don't know it was that way before i added it or if it went up after i added the ammonia. ugh!

so since i had to get going and do some stuff i just came back and tested pH and high pH. was having a hard time trying to figure out high pH reading so i took a pic. i think it might be 8.0?

and to answer mart's question. no i'm not shaking the bottles to death beforehand unless i'm using the nitRATES bottle #2 like it says to in the direction. am i suppose to be shaking them? it doesn't say to shake them beforehand so i haven't really shaken them. i've maybe gently jiggled it a tiny bit just to swish the liquids around but not every time i use them.

pH

high pH

Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #6 
mart

Your tests look lke mine, and everything in my tank is fine.

As far as shaking, I was talking about the Nitrate3, but I do shake all the bottles to make sure they are fully mixed.

Have you checked your water your putting in there. I assume from the tap?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #7 
jmetal

since the nitrites went up after a water change that was the first thing i did. i tested for nitrites straight out of the tap and it was 0 so it wasn't coming from the tap.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #8 
mart

That is strange. Maybe it's something in your tank causing it to rise.
What do you have for substrate?
What are the decorations if any?
Plants?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #9 
Rollo

Have you tested your tap water for nitrite? Not sure of the time frames involved with the water tests after the water changes, but sounds like your nitrite is going up awful high awful fast right after a WC.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #10 
mart

If you read the posts above you, he's already tested his tap water.