Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #1 
LoveBetta24

Reflection

Hi! I got a new Betta today and He keeps seeing himself in the tank reflection and trying to fight himself. I'm scared he's going to knock himself out! Any suggestions? I tried a towel but somehow he can still see himself.
Thanks!
LoveBetta24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #2 
Dragon41214

Mine does that too, what color is your background? I have a Fluval Edge with the black stand it is like a perfect mirror. The only way to stop him was to wedge a white piece of paper between the stand and his tank. I tried to just let it go for a bit but he never settled down until I resorted to the paper. Backgrounds are pretty inexpensive at Petco perhaps you could try some that are not as reflective.
Dragon41214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #3 
LoveBetta24

Everything is clear... The wall behind the tank is white.. But he keeps going to the one side. Maybe I'll try a white piece of paper somewhere in there. Or look for a background. Thanks!
LoveBetta24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #4 
Caesarfish88

I had the same problem on my black bookshelf. I got this frosted paper like stuff at Home Depot that you can stick on the outside of the tank. It worked like a charm.
Caesarfish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #5 
Waking Buddha

In the past I have changed backgrounds and lighting that suddenly let my betta see their reflection. When they start flaring a lot because of this I give them a few days to see If they will just get used to it. They generally do and will stop obsessively flaring. If not then I would check out different background clings.

The frosted paper idea sounds really pretty!
Waking Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #6 
1RainbowBetta

Same as what Waking Buddha said - give it a day or two and see if he settles down. One of mine flared at a section in his background that had a plant with long thin leaves. The other one flared at his filter when I changed it from vertical to horizontal position. Both quit after a day or two. I guess they figured out it wasn't another fish to fight. :D
1RainbowBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #7 
relaxedcrazyman

there is also opaque window film. it is what i used on my 2.5g tank and it worked like a charm. i used it on the sides and back.
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote