Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #1 
WhitneyLin

Hydor running hot?

So idiot me left the humidifier on all night last night without turning on the fan. So my room was quite warm. This morning I checked the thermometer and it read 82F. I left the heater off for a while since its water change day and it went down to 80F after a couple hours, changed the water, turned the heater down to 75F, and then turned it back on after 20 minutes. I checked it a little bit ago and its almost 82F again. I unplugged the heater again now.

It hasnt done this before. I normally keep the heater on 77ishF and the temp normally stays about 79F. I know 82F is the high end of what bettas are kept in, but I dont want it to keep climbing.

The heater was turning on and heating. I could see the orange light come on for a while and then go off...even though it was set at 75F and the temp was already above that. :\

Should I leave it unplugged for a while and let the tank cool down a little till bedtime? Turn the heater down some more and plug it back in?

Any ideas on what I should do? Its a Hydor Theo 25W. And its a 5g tank.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #2 
AudaxViator

82 is probably fine but yeah that's odd an adjustable heater would do that. I think it would be best to plug it in and dial down the temp, then keep an eye on it. The big temp swings might be worse than keeping it a little warm.
AudaxViator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #3 
WhitneyLin

Im keeping a close eye on it. It took hours for it to drop 2 degrees earlier. So it was a gradual change. It hasnt dropped any yet, though I do have the light on the tank now since its getting dark. Though the light doesnt produce that much heat.

I figured maybe i'd try getting it back down to 80F and then turning the heater down to 72F and plugging it back in. :\

Its just weird and sucks since I was going to order another Hydor 25w tomorrow for a second tank im setting up. And now im second guessing.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #4 
WhitneyLin

It dropped 1 degree in almost 2 hours, so its back to 80F. I turned it down to 73F and plugged it in.

So I guess we'll see. Crossing my fingers.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #5 
nel3

this probably has little do with the design but it might be a hidden problem with the heater. I have the elite submersible 25w heater for all my tanks. I cooked 2 fish with 1 single heater. the first fish was sick and dying so I turned the heat up to help him heal. he cooked. I reset the heater without fish in the tank and it worked well with the 3.4gKK.

fast forward to the replacement betta. I set the temp low to keep him warm 25c but not warm enough to 27c just yet. I do a wc and adjust the heater a bit and leave for a workout at gym. I return back 4hrs later to a cooked fish in 40c water. basically the heater goes crazy as soon as I pass a certain setting. anything under that point the heater will work perfectly anything over it will cook. the setting wasn't even at half the max setting and it hit 32c within 30 minutes. I scrapped that defective heater to say the least.

I hope this sort of defect isnt common with adjustable heaters but that's one possible heater defect.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:28 AM   #6 
WhitneyLin

I really hope it keeps working. Right now the heater is set at 73F and the tank thermometer reads 79F. And its been about 3 hours since I just finished watching The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. lol.

I'm just a bit worried about what its gonna do when I go to bed, which im going to have to do shortly cause im tired. I have to run the humidifier or the dry air kills my throat. But hopefully having the fan on low will keep the room from getting too hot. :\
Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #7 
IXOYE

I have a new Hydor, 100 W, that runs hot. I have kept turning it down for a constant of 78-79 right now, but I had to keep turning it down (to 71* I think?)....

So far, it's keeping it constant, but no, didn't trust that for over 80* to be sure! Hope it continues to be fine- on lower setting- hopefully! It's brand new, been running for about a week...

This summer, I'm worried as our house gets way so hot; This will be the first summer with Larry Guerry. I hope keeping him cool enough isn't a problem. I may be running fans on him and hope that helps enough! I hope the moss balls and live plants (which I hope to get soon) survive the warm tank, not to mention my Larry Guerry! It's always something, and I needed something to "obsess" over in my "old age"- HA!!!!!! I'll be unplugging his heater soon, and saving that for the fall/winter, to be sure!
IXOYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #8 
WhitneyLin

Yeah that's weird. Mine has been good since I got it in like September. I checked it again and there isn't any buildup on it and no water got inside it. It held steady overnight though thankfully. It's 79/80F and the heater is still set at 73F. Guess that's where it's gonna stay.

Though in debating ordering another when I get one for my second tank. Or maybe getting a jäger, but I only see a 50W.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #9 
GFarra

Whitney,

I have the same heaters and I've noticed that I need to let my tanks cool down to a temp close to what I am setting the Hydor at. When i do that the heater maintains the lower temperature which it was set at. If the tank water is warmer than the setting, it still heats the water and the temp rises again.

no idea why. i havent tried any other heaters to compare performance

Regards

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #10 
haveyouhadyourteayet

I think with hydors you have to dial em in a little bit... I keep mine set to 85 to keep the water at 79F...
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote