Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #11 
SilverCaracal

Your tank is so pretty! It's designed well!
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #12 
Cobb89

I was considering, instead of bumping up to a 10 and getting two betta in a split environment, getting a ghost shrimp to go along with a 2.5

Since you've done it I've just got a question or two

How often do you clean it out?

What kind of food do you feed the shrimp, and how do you make sure it feeds instead of the beta just eating whats intended for the shrimp?

And when cleaning....what do you do with the shrimp during a 100 percent change and clean?

And btw, awesome set up. I'm leaning more towards the natural look because of it.
Cobb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #13 
Maryrox247

beautiful tank! i love aegir too!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #14 
Sicklidae

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermin View Post
Sick
Your tank looks awesome! I see your shrimp has claimed his spot lol
That was Aegir's spot before all the plants were added. lol, if he still wants it I'm sure he will kick as much butt as necessary to claim it back

Last edited by Sicklidae; 07-28-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #15 
CodeRed

OMG. Amazing o_o I REALLY need to set up a "nice" tank soon. Some of these are simply amazing.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #16 
Sicklidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb89 View Post
How often do you clean it out?
So far, I do 50% water change twice a week, I'm not sure if its overkill or not. It's a new tank... and I'm new to keeping small aquariums I'm more of a large reef tank or medium cichlid (hence the name ) tank person

Quote:
What kind of food do you feed the shrimp, and how do you make sure it feeds instead of the beta just eating whats intended for the shrimp?
I feed the shrimp bottom feeder wafers, they love it. With how my tank is, there are some parts that are too small for Aegir to get to because of the plants and rocks, but the shrimp can get to, and thats where I put the wafer. Aegir doesn't seem to really bother the wafers anyways if I feed him at the same time.

Quote:
And when cleaning....what do you do with the shrimp during a 100 percent change and clean?
Heheh... we haven't gotten that far yet. The tank isn't a week old yet. My plan was to net them, I'm pretty good at netting almost anything, I've had quite a bit of practice over the years. But I will definitely be keeping them in a separate container from Aegir... that way he doesn't go bonkers on them without anywhere to hide! Eep.

Quote:
And btw, awesome set up. I'm leaning more towards the natural look because of it.
Thanks! I'm more of a natural look person myself.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #17 
Cobb89

So do you think just putting the shrimp in some room temp water whilst cleaning would suffice for the 20 or so minutes that I take to clean the tank?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #18 
Sicklidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
beautiful tank! i love aegir too!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
OMG. Amazing o_o I REALLY need to set up a "nice" tank soon. Some of these are simply amazing.
Thanks!

I actually got most of it for free from freecycle, I found the rocks outside, and the rest was a b-day present.

B-Day present:
Aegir & Food $9
Shrimp $3
Plants $12

Total cost: $24
Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #19 
Sicklidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb89 View Post
So do you think just putting the shrimp in some room temp water whilst cleaning would suffice for the 20 or so minutes that I take to clean the tank?
Yea, it should, in my experience, ghost shrimp are pretty hardy. Thats what I did a few years back, I was upgrading from a 10 gal to a 33 flatback hex, but I needed a lot of the stuff from the 10 gal for the 33 gal, I lost one shrimp and one tetra, and it took much longer to set up the 33 gal than it would to do a cleaning for a 2.5 gal.
I don't know about any other freshwater shrimp though...
Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #20 
Cobb89

Thanks for the info.

Also...how often do you feed the shrimp? The guy at the pet store said to feed the Betta every other day, is this good for the shrimp?