Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #1 
Cobb89

Question about paint

I've been thinking about ideas for my tank set up that I'll be doing middle of next month, and heres an idea that I've had but I know it will require special materials....

I was thinking of getting one of the small planter pots and breaking out the bottom to make a hide for the fish. And on the side that will be placed up I was thinking of drawing painting the University of South Florida Bull logo on it. I was reading on here that people were saying paint was dangerous, if it comes off. So are there any paints out there that could be used that any of you know of? Or a sealant that wont negatively effect the fish? Or should I just nix the idea?

Also, is breaking the bottom of the planter out a bad idea? Theres the issue of the sharp edges, potentially

Thoughts? Ideas? Concerns?
Cobb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #2 
Sicklidae

Breaking out the bottom of the plant is a good idea actually... I've heard of betta's getting curious and getting stuck in the hole at the bottom. (I could imagine Aegir doing that... lol) Just sand down the edges, and it will be fine

My thoughts about the paint... maybe you could paint it, let it dry, and then apply a thing coat of aquarium safe silicone on it to seal it?

I grew up with reef tanks, and when I was in elementary school, I would make all kinds of "decorations" for our tanks. My mom would coat them in the silicone, and we never had any issues. And some of the corals and fish we had were really delicate.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #3 
LMac54

I heard using acrylic paint and glazing it with a good exterior varnish works. You could use aquarium silicone too, but that might be gloppy...

:) Also heard that Krylon Fusion spray paint is real good underwater.
LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:39 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Well I like the coating in aquarium silicone idea! =]

If you don't want to risk it though, why not print out a picture of your mascot and your schools Acronym and then make those the tank background? I was thinking of doing that during Homecoming this year! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #5 
Sicklidae

Yea, the silicone does tend to be a bit gloppy, you have to be really careful with trying to make it smooth.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote