Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #1 
Welsh

Is this even possible?

As some of you may know I had a new tank yesterday, I used sand and a filter from an already established tank and added 6 tetras but one got stuck behind the filter and died which I only noticed this afternoon. I fed the fish last night and this morning in the tank and just checked the water parameters to see where everything was at and this is how it goes

Ammonia - 0 - 0.25 - the colours are in-between
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate -0

I shook and banged the Nitrate #2 bottle for about 5 mins before adding it.

This can't be possible?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

That looks about right IMO/E, ammonia from the dead fish and even with cycled media it can take several days to start to show nitrate reading especially if the media came from a much smaller bioload.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #3 
Welsh

Still trying to get used to the cycling thing lol, so I should't put my betta in just yet then?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #4 
Welsh

The first time around I didn't do the cycle properly and ended up overstocking but even though every fish survived I'm still doing it properly this time so I need to know do I do water changes on a tank thats cycling? I've read all the articles online but I just don't understand it so I thought I'd get an idiot proof explanation here haha
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

With fish, yes-you need to make water changes for the sake of the fish
Fishless-no water changes during the cycling process usually
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #6 
Welsh

Is there anything else that I can add other than pure ammonia to help speed it up? lol
Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #7 
Sicklidae

Making water changes during a cycle will stall the cycle, you should really only do water changes if the ammonia or nitrite levels get dangerous. If you do the water changes for no real reason, your cycle will take much much longer.

I wouldn't add ammonia to a tank with a fish-in cycle. It will make the nitrites spike even more, creating a dangerous situation for your fish. You want a light bioload when you cycle, light bioload will make it safer for the fish, reducing your chances of needed to change the water, and reducing their likelihood of dieing and stress. Once you go through your light cycle, add fish gradually, you will most likely see a mini cycle every time you add fish. Try not to add more fish until the end of each mini cycle.

I used to have an excellent article on cycling, with a chart to chart your levels on, and a graph to tell you what to do if the levels get too high.... I'll try to find it for you.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

I have to respectfully disagree. I believe you SHOULD made water changes - and probably more of them - during the cycle. The "good" bacteria lives mostly in your filter media and also some on the gravel, plants & decorations. It do not live so much in the water itself. Making water changes will ensure that ammonia (and other stuff) doesn't reach dangerous levels, IMO.

Don't clean your filter during a cycle - now THAT I agree with! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #9 
Welsh

Well I tested it again today and the results were

Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates - 0

I just want it to be finished and its only been 2 days haha
Old 07-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #10 
Sicklidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. I believe you SHOULD made water changes - and probably more of them - during the cycle. The "good" bacteria lives mostly in your filter media and also some on the gravel, plants & decorations. It do not live so much in the water itself. Making water changes will ensure that ammonia (and other stuff) doesn't reach dangerous levels, IMO.

Don't clean your filter during a cycle - now THAT I agree with! :)
The reason why it stalls is because when you change the water, you are knocking the levels down. You need a certain amount of the toxins for the cycle to progress... if you are constantly taking them away, it won't progress as quickly. Thats why I try to avoid it. Of course you should change the water if it gets too dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Well I tested it again today and the results were

Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates - 0

I just want it to be finished and its only been 2 days haha
I don't think its really even begun yet...

Last edited by Sicklidae; 07-29-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote