Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #21 
KBoone

I was letting my water "age" for the longest time. I'm old. This is what you used to do. Chlorine does evaporate after-all. Then I discovered that most municipalities have swicthed to chloramine. It doesn't have as much odor or taste, but is just as dangerous and does NOT evaporate. ANYhoo. I use water conditioner now. All are effective in removing chlorine and chloramine. People have various preferences. And there are a few formulas that have added benefits, such as being anti-fungal and such. Up to you really.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #22 
Welsh

Well, the conditioner is coming tomorrow, I can't wait to get some clean water in to these tanks My betta has blown a massive bubblenest too, why does he do it everytime I want to change the water lol.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #23 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Well, the conditioner is coming tomorrow, I can't wait to get some clean water in to these tanks My betta has blown a massive bubblenest too, why does he do it everytime I want to change the water lol.

He's just tryin' to make ya feel guilty.

IGNORE his little attempted guilt trip!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #24 
Welsh

Haha, he's been blowing it since yesterday evening, he hasn't stopped once lol His little attempt his working haha
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #25 
Adastra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimyRainbowFinn View Post
i guess my water must not really need it, and its one less thing i need to buy, lol, sorry for ruffling your feathers.
It really depends on your water source. Some water treatment plants add chloramine to the water in addition to chlorine. Chlorine can evaporate after about 24 hours, but chloramine takes weeks to fully evaporate. Your particular fish may just be more tolerant to these poisons, I would never advise just skipping dechlorinator because you feel like it--even if the water is aged and not treated with chloramine the dechlorinator still removes heavy metals and other nasties that could naturally be in your water.

Welsh, you could call your water company and ask what chemicals they add to the water. If they don't add chloramines, it would be feasible to do a partial water change with some aged water. I don't see why you can't go to a pet store or a fish store--where I live they even sell dechlorinator in the pet section of my grocery store. I don't really know how it is in Europe, but it's certainly not the dark side of the moon--dechlorinator is a pretty standard product. Good to hear you managed to order some, though.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #26 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
i was planning on doing a water change on clark gable's tank ready for my new betta tomorrow and then realised i have no water conditioner, i can't go anywhere tomorrow to get any either, what can i do? Lol
use the spring water,not purified water though.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote