Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #181 
Goldbetta98

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Gal.../dp/B006UJUTYW

This rock made my 10 gallon toxic. As soon as I put it in, my fish started dying. Even with it removed, fish still die.
Goldbetta98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #182 
loveaBetta

oh wow i seen them at wallmart was going to get for my little african frogs Zen and Pen tank but didnt glad i didnt now reading it killed your fish :( I did get the frogs a 2" terra cotta planter and saucer they so tiny they eat there frog bits and pieces of live worms from the saucer the frozen brine flote
loveaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #183 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldbetta98 View Post

This rock made my 10 gallon toxic. As soon as I put it in, my fish started dying. Even with it removed, fish still die.
I never had a problem with the moon caves, and my two boys had them for quite some time.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #184 
aselvarial

huh, this has been in my tank for 2 months. I haven't had anyone die with it in there. Granted nobody uses it, and it really doesn't glow in the dark. But it hasn't made it toxic.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #185 
VivianKJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylerHill View Post
I bought this Petco heater for one of my boys and at first it was great. It heated the tank nicely. After a week or so the black paint started flaking off and leaving these black specks everywhere in my tank. It didn't harm my betta but I removed it as soon as I noticed the paint chips.

http://www.petco.com/product/102227/...m-Heaters.aspx
I have this in my boy's ronnie's tank and the black paint has not flaked off mine. I've had this heater for about 6 months now.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 AM   #186 
daniella3d

How do you know it killed your fish and it's not something else that killed your fish? since even with it removed they still die, maybe some parasites?

I am amazed that people put the blame on anything they could for their fish death. I have read people blaming plants that rust while rust is not toxic. These thread would be useful if those claim about toxicity would be justified, not just a person impression about it being toxic because it smell or look wierd or peeling.

I bought some epoxy coated gravel and it smell like varsol, very very strong. It's in my aquarium after rinsing it well but still smell a lot after a week. My fish is not dead, seem to be doing fine.

So how do you people know something is toxic just because it smell? Is it really toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldbetta98 View Post

daniella3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #187 
daniella3d

I am planning to buy a few of these. They look so nice. Glad to know you have no problem with them.

I had a few decorations that produced a strong smell and I removed them after a while not because my fish had any issue because they did not, but I simply did not like the smell. They are now soaking in a bucket until they stop smelling.

If all those ornaments were really toxic we would hear about it and there would be claims and it would be documented. I once put Kent carbon in my reef and a few hours later my corals started to bleach and die. I took the carbon out and brought some sample to a professional lab for analysis. They found huge amount of copper and nickel in it, so that's what was killing my reef. It did not took long before other people had the same experience and there were hundreds of people affected. Of course Kent did a complete recall on this product and they sent me a check for my dead corals. So it was obvious that it was contamined. It would be the same with these ornaments as they are mass market products and sold to a lot of people. No way they could kill thousands of fish without us earing about it and without having a recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquab2st View Post
I've had 2 of these in 2 different tanks I've never had this problem both my boys love it

Last edited by daniella3d; 04-28-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #188 
WhitneyLin

Thank you everyone for posting these. Maybe they arent toxic, but I cant imagine how keeping decor with paint chipping/peeling, or rust, or strong smells could be healthy. I wouldnt let my cats drink out of something like that, so why would I let my fish live in a tank with it? If other people want to take the chance thats fine, its their fish and their risk to take.

Maybe not everything on this list is bad. Theres always a chance of someone getting a defective one. Theres bound to be bad batches out there. It happens. But I still appreciate the warning all the same.

Besides, even if it is in no way harmful, im still paying good money for this stuff. Paint chipped/bubbling decor does not make a nice looking tank. I dont want to waste my money on something thats going to have a problem and its normally too late to return it.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #189 
daniella3d

Yes there is always a risk that something could be a bad batch, but then it's not just one person being effected, it's more than that and it's hard for a company to hide it and usually they do a recall of the toxic product, especially companies in the USA and Canada.

Here is the recall on Kent carbon that was contaminated:

http://www.kentmarine.com/news/news-...arine-reef.htm

and beleive me it really did not take long before the story was all over the web, in all forums, everywhere people were talking about it. If you do a search in google for kent contaminated carbon you will find tons of issues and people talking about it.

When I found that the gravel I am using was smelling like varsol I tried to find a single issue with this sand on the web and could not find any. I returned one of the bag at the store and they told me that this gravel always smell like that and the company was contacted and they said it was not toxic, it's the natural smell of the epoxy they use and even though the epoxy is cured, it still can smell depending if it's been manufactured recently or not.

It was smelling so strong than the whole kitchen was smelling like varsol and I rinsed it in lukewarm water, not hot. so sometime just because something smell bad, it does not mean it's toxic. I did a water change yesterday and after 10 days the water still smell a little bit. I guess it will eventually go away. The gravel is white epoxy coated.

This gravel is produced by Hagen. Hagen is a very big company and if there was a problem with some of their product killing fish, they would do something about it. So I beleive it is safe even if it smell strong.

https://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Decorative/Gravel/12474

They say it can be used in saltwater aquarium and it is inert. In a saltwater aquarium it does not take long for everything to die if there is anything toxic. Corals are super sensitive to dangerous chimical. With kent carbon many of my corals died in only a few hours so it this gravel would be toxic we would hear about horror stories like we did from Kent carbon and there would be a recall from the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitneyLin View Post
Theres always a chance of someone getting a defective one. Theres bound to be bad batches out there. It happens. But I still appreciate the warning all the same.

Besides, even if it is in no way harmful, im still paying good money for this stuff. Paint chipped/bubbling decor does not make a nice looking tank. I dont want to waste my money on something thats going to have a problem and its normally too late to return it.

Last edited by daniella3d; 04-28-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #190 
Goldbetta98

That was the only thing that changed with the tank before I lost my entire stock.
Goldbetta98 is offline   Reply With Quote