Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #1 
Amour

Constipation Issues?

I had to be away in the hospital for a week, and my husband was with me the whole time and neither of us could take care of my fish.

My brother, intending to make a kind gesture, fed my fish for me without my knowledge.

I came home to two very bloated bettas and I asked them how much they fed them and the answer was "Four or five pellets three or four times a day."

I feed my bettas only one pellet three times a day (soaked of course) because Ninja Dude has constipation problems to begin with, so I was very sad to see him so miserable.

I've been home a little over a week and the first three days I was home I fed Ninja Dude a tiny bit of pea once a day until finally it seemed his tummy went down.

Maggie, my female, only had to be fed one pea and she was as good as new and has been just fine ever since.

But my Ninja just seems to keep getting constipated so easy ever since my stay in the hospital.

Last night I was feeding my dwarf crayfish who's also in his tank and he's a scavenger guy so he eats things from the bottom. I feed him these Hikari fish pellets that are super tiny and they drop to the bottom. Ninja Dude decided he wanted them and ate like four.

They're about a fourth the size of his pellets, but they made him blow up like a balloon. So I fed him a little piece of pea last night and today he was slightly less bloated, but still pretty bloated. So I gave him an Epsom salt bath.

But this is really frustrating that he gets so bloated so easy. Does anyone else have this much trouble getting their fish to have a normal digestive system? And if so, do you have any tips on how to keep them from being so sensitive?
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #2 
BerkB33

Got the same problem with a CT that has been with me about a year now. Just read that frozen mystic shrimp is a good laxative. Haven't tried it yet but the article was very convincing on the "laxativity" of this food. Going to be trying it this coming week. I'll let you know what I find. I'd give you the name of the article, but I read so many, in so many different places, that I can't remember where I saw it?!?!? Sorry!

Last edited by BerkB33; 07-30-2010 at 06:02 PM.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

When he is bloated is he otherwise okay, he passes stool and still want to eat..he just looks bad, not lethargic, hiding etc.....
How much Epsom salt are you using and how long, also how long after is he passing stool after placed in the epsom salt bath.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #4 
Amour

You'll definitely have to let me know about the frozen shrimp thing.

And OFL, he still is a piggie and wants to eat. But he gets lethargic and sad and just kind of lays around everywhere looking miserable. I don't want to feed him too many peas because that much veggies can't be good for him.

As far as the Epsom goes, I put about an fourth of a teaspoon in a one gallon bucket of his tank water for about 20 minutes. It's only been a few hours since I did that and he doesn't seem to be feeling any better yet. No poop yet but he does have a little bit hanging out his bottom.

Maybe I should give him another pea? I just can't imagine so much peas being good for him.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #5 
FloridaBettas239

I like to boil the pee for a min, then take the skin off and feed them little bit's of the pea. I also found out from a breeder to use algae waffers. So I started using little bit's of algae waffers and it seems to work great. I have never had to use salt.

I have not had problems with constipation, I feed in the AM and the PM. I never use pellets, I feed frozen brine shrimp in the AM and frozen blood worms in the PM, all week long sometime I throw some of the slow roasted flake food to change things up. Then I dont feed sat then I feed algae waffer or pea on sunday. This gives him a fast day and then a day of the pea or waffer to help clean him out.
Pellets are cheap and therefore they use the cheapest products, vitamins, minerals and protine. They use cheap stuff to make it so they can sell it for cheap and still make a little money. Its good to feed natural foods and chasnge it up from pm to am...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #6 
Amour

The pellets I use are top quality that I order online. I feel like I'm feeding my bettas lobster. I also feed them bloodworms for dinner every other day.

So I don't think the food is what's making him constipated.

He's just a really sensitive little guy. I think I'm going to give him another pea tomorrow and fast him a few days. Maybe after that he'll stop being so silly.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You need to use more epsom salt for a dip or do a 10 day treatment, Epsom salt 1tsp/gal for 10 day, along with daily 100% water changes, he could have a deformed duct or swelling/infection at the duct that is causing him to have trouble. The duct between the swim bladder and intestine can get irritated, infected, impacted...etc....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #8 
Amour

Okay I'll try that. Thanks a lot, OFL.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #9 
BerkB33

Well...not convinced the "mysis" (not "mystic') shrimp are any kind of laxative...however, this should have been a "no brainer," but any type of fiber does a great job! Algae wafer, spirulina, zucchini, etc. My CT's "pot belly" has already shrunk a little in a weekend after feeding him spirulina just twice.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote