Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #1 
naturegirl243

So I have a temp. question

My fish Carlisle lives in a 5 gallon tank in my room.The temp in his tank is inbetween 72 and 73 I have a brand new heater but it keeps turning on and off I don't know what to do cause he is acting kind of cold(like hanging out at the bottom in the cornors)He still comes out to greet me but I can tell he is kind of cold but not super cold.I know it's not the worst temp. but what is ideal for bettas?I know it's a stupid question I should know this and I kind of do but I just need some opinions on what to do.Sorry for my long questions lately but I tend to ramble.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #2 
metalbetta

I believe I've read it's about 78 to 82 degrees F.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #3 
Kittles

Opinions may vary, but I think anywhere from 78F to 84F will be appropriate for your betta, personally. Just remember that whatever temperature you choose, you have to keep it stable. Temperature fluctuations will stress your fish and weaken its immune system. What type of heater are you using, and what size tank are you using it in?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #4 
naturegirl243

hmm ok I was about right then when I was thinking high 70's I feel bad but I can't afford to keep buying heaters.I don't know whats wrong with this one.Are they supossed to be completly under the water? Cause I left a little bit of the top of it sticking out so the cord does not get wet.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #5 
naturegirl243

It's a Tetra "Submersible Heater" for 2-15 gallon tanks it is supossed to heat and keep it at 78.He is in a 5.5 gallon tank.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Sounds like you're using the Tetra submersible heater. I had that one at least and it did to me what yours is doing to you now. =/

EDIT: DUDE. You hadn't written it yet and I already knew! XD That heater is the pits. it's suitable for cycling but not much else IMO.

Get a Hydor Theo or a Marineland Stealth heater. They're adjustable and as long as you leave the shaft underwater it should be fine.

Since I got my marineland stealth heater the temps been at a constant 79*. =] I'm very happy with it. =]

Just avoid the marineland stealth PRO. The Pro explodes. The normal stealth is the only one sold in stores though I think. Plus a good look at the packaging will tell you if it's a Pro or not as it'd be in the name. =]

Good luck with your little guy! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #7 
naturegirl243

wow just realized it needs to be at the bottom of the tank not the top.I guess I missed that can you tell I have been getting no sleep lately lol.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #8 
naturegirl243

Thanks, I will check those out.Hopefully this one will last a little bit longer since I just got it today.I am thinking it is just adjusting slowly maybe?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl243 View Post
wow just realized it needs to be at the bottom of the tank not the top.I guess I missed that can you tell I have been getting no sleep lately lol.
I had both of mine (I had 2 in two different enclosures) at the bottom and it didn't help any. =/

They were both in 1 gallon containers too. They just don't work well. I'd return it if I were you and get an adjustable heater. =/

It costs a little more cash but it's well worth it if your betta doesn't have to deal with temp fluctuations all the time.

EDIT: didn't see your latest post. sorry.

Glad you're checking them a out and glad to know you bought the heater yesterday (it's past 12 here. XD) so you could probably dry it off, say you never used it, and return it. =]
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

If you can order online: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368