Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #1 
xswornxoffxjello

Thinking of rehoming Thor

He's a beauty, and a really nice boy, but he's stressed. The divided 10 gallon is putting a lot of strain on him. I think he'd do better by himself. I've considered swapping tanks with one of my other guys, but Draco hasn't been doing so well either, and I'm afraid of the same thing will happen to both the moved fish and Draco. So, my idea was to find Thor a caring, responsible home and give Draco the entire 10 gallon to himself.

Thoughts?

Would anyone be interested in Thor if that's what I decide to do?
Attached Images

xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #2 
germanchick09

i would take him...hes a very beautiful boy...but i probably live a bit way from you..
germanchick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Try making a DIY divider instead of using that store bought one. They can't see each other as well with the DIY ones. I do have a boy who gets stressed by other males around though too.

My water is very hard and CTs don't tend to do really well, but if after a while you can't rehome him I could probably take him, I almost always have an empty spot.. :P
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Had a bad experience with a divided tank myself.
My favorite and first DTHM boy got really stressed out and started tail bitting. I added another 2 layers of the craft mesh so they could not see eachother. But it didn't work. I think he felt the other fish and just that stressed him out enought.
I changed him back to a tank by himself but the damage was already done and he died a short time after that.
I regretted the divided tank so much and only keep separate tanks now.
Hopefully your little guy will be stronger than mine and go back to his old self soon.
Good luck!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

Would you ship him? I'm not saying I could take him for sure, just curious. I have way too many ATM, but maybe in the near future... idk
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #6 
xswornxoffxjello

I think I would have to if someone was willing to take him. I still haven't decided yet, though.

I haven't had much success with homemade dividers--I originally divided the tank in three with the storebought divider and a homemade one, and thank goodness I didn't put them right next to each other, because Draco pushed through. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there, because I know other people have used homemade ones just fine.

Thanks for the help, btw.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #7 
mysquishy

What a beauty! I live maybe an hour from you. If you decide he needs a new home let me know. :)
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Can you get a Critter Tote/ Kritter Keeper for him? You could get a 3 gallon and he might not be as stressed since he'd be separated entirely.

Also you could try dividing it in three again but making the middle section really thin and putting a bunch of java moss in the middle bit. I heard that works well.

Good luck in whatever you need to do. <=] I'm sure if you need to re-home him you'll find a good fishmom to give him to! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

Yeah a critter keeper is a great idea. I have lots of homemade dividers and don't have problems. It did take a bit to get the hang of placing them right so the fish couldn't get through though. It may also just be his personality. I have one who has to be alone or bites his tail. I assume he's just biting his tail right? Not damage from another betta getting through a divider?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote