Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #1 
kakashikage

Question Tank Stands

I recently purchased a five-gallon tank for my betta, because that is the largest tank my apartment complex will allow, but I'm not sure what to put it on. I have a three-shelf bookcase that I was going to use, but I don't think the top is strong enough to support the weight of a full five-gallon tank. However, stores don't really make stands for five-gallon tanks, so I'm not sure what to go with, especially as I am on a tight budget. Does anybody have any advice on what to use as a tank stand for a five-gallon?
kakashikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #2 
Kittles

You shouldn't need anything special to place a five gallon tank on. Water is about 8lbs per gallon, so it'd be fair to assume your tank would max out at about 50lbs with gravel and decorations. Assuming that's about as heavy as a large stack of books, I think the bookshelf idea could still be carried out - especially if the tank is place on the sides of the unit where the supports are, not in the center. Otherwise, most other surfaces would work; an end table, coffee table, night stand, entertainment center, desk, you name it.

Last edited by Kittles; 08-03-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #3 
Adastra

A full 5G tank is about 50-60 lbs depending on gravel and other decor--generally if an eight-year-old can sit on it, you're good. :) I have mine sitting on a dresser--most computer desks would work as well. Some night stands can be solid enough--especially if they have a sort of box construction to them instead of just spindly legs.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote