Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #1 
Terranariko

Well that was a bust....

only like 2 days ago I got a cherry shrimp for bruteroots tank...I would of gotten a few but they only had one...so I was like ok...

I put him in bruteroots tank...and...it disapeared later on...after a day I never saw it and was wondering where it was...so I cleared out the tank and not a trace of it...untill I noticed something see/through-white floating in the water...and from what I saw it looked excately like the shrimp...like a skin...so I was like...D= cause I just bought it and then something happened...I'm guessing bruteroot ate the shrimp or something like that.

so I wasted almost 5 dollars for a "treat" if you can call it that for bruteroot...-.- poor shrimp...I guess I'll have to try snails instead since he eats shrimp...
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What you seen may have been the exoskeleton from the shrimp molt and not the shrimp itself, not to say that the Betta didn't eat the shrimp because when the shrimp molt their body is softer until their new skeleton hardens.
If you have lots of cover and the tank is 5g or larger-it may still be in the tank...but true---they can be a high priced snack for some Bettas.......not all will tolerate them as a roomy......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #3 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What you seen may have been the exoskeleton from the shrimp molt and not the shrimp itself, not to say that the Betta didn't eat the shrimp because when the shrimp molt their body is softer until their new skeleton hardens.
If you have lots of cover and the tank is 5g or larger-it may still be in the tank...but true---they can be a high priced snack for some Bettas.......not all will tolerate them as a roomy......
Yeah it's a 5g...and there is hideing...but I removed everything in the tank and looked everything over...and no shrimp...so by theory is that it molted but durning the re-hardening part when he was more vunerable bruteroot got to him and ate him.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

At least he ate well...but dang!...and $5 for 1 RCS...wow...I get mine for $1 each and ghost shrimp 4/$1.00...but I also get mine from fellow aquarium club members.... now I have well over 100's of the RCS and lots of the yellow morphs...still want to get the blue and green color morph.
In my 20g sorority that is heavy planted- I can't keep shrimp alive with those girls, but in one of my 2g planted tank with a male he could care less about the shrimp........

Do you have any live plants? a big wad of java moss is a great place for shrimp to hide that the Betta can't get too as well.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
At least he ate well...but dang!...and $5 for 1 RCS...wow...I get mine for $1 each and ghost shrimp 4/$1.00...but I also get mine from fellow aquarium club members.... now I have well over 100's of the RCS and lots of the yellow morphs...still want to get the blue and green color morph.
In my 20g sorority that is heavy planted- I can't keep shrimp alive with those girls, but in one of my 2g planted tank with a male he could care less about the shrimp........

Do you have any live plants? a big wad of java moss is a great place for shrimp to hide that the Betta can't get too as well.
Sorry about your shrimp. =[ I agree with OFL at least Bruteroot ate well that day! XD

Neat so javamoss is a must for shrimp tanks? I'll keep that in mind. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds like he got a yummy snack and an expensive one, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #7 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Sounds like he got a yummy snack and an expensive one, too.
Sounds like it...do you think it tasted like cherrys? ...=/ um...too bad...it was a cute shrimp too.

I guess now I have to get snails...at least the snail would be harder to eat...
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #8 
Betta Slave

That's too bad about the shrimp! ...At least he had a treat. XP
I tried a shrimp in Hattie's tank before, and she just ripped the poor thing apart.

I hope Bruteroot doesn't try to eat the snails! I have quite a few bettas that do. -.-
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #9 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
That's too bad about the shrimp! ...At least he had a treat. XP
I tried a shrimp in Hattie's tank before, and she just ripped the poor thing apart.

I hope Bruteroot doesn't try to eat the snails! I have quite a few bettas that do. -.-
at least snails cost less and eat/clean more...so if he does at least it will get some cleaning done...also the fact that shells are harder to munch on a bigger snail...eh...I'll see when I can get the snails...
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #10 
doggyhog

I have a few that rip pond snails right out of their shells. LOL

Sorry bout your Shrimp.. I got 15 before and within a week they were all eaten.

Lets hope Bruteroot didn't forget the shrimp sauce! :D
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote