Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #1 
SmokeNLark

Broken Aquarium Help?

So today my boyfriend gave me an old 10 gallon that was in his grandparent's garage. I'm not sure if it's glass or plastic. I'm assuming it's glass though. On one of the panels there is a hole and a bit of a crack. The hole is about an inch long and a half inch high with a crack a little bit longer. It is in a bottom corner. I'd like to divide it and put 2 of my males in it. But I was wondering if the hole can be fixed safely with silicon or if the panel has to be replaced. I researched it a little bit already, but all I could find was about how to replace the panel itself.

I'd rather just fix the hole, but I wanted to get opinions before I did anything. Although I'm expecting to have to replace the panel.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #2 
Adastra

It would probably be cheaper, easier, and more reliable just to get a new 10 gallon. They are actually fairly cheap--only about $15 when they are not on sale. You can find plenty of them on your local craigslist/freecycle/kijiji too--many of them even cheaper or free. You could try to patch the hole with silicon and a piece of glass that will fit over the hole/crack--but personally I'd just get a new one, lol.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #3 
metalbetta

Oddly enough, a lot of repairs seem to cost MORE than a replacement!

Wal-mart usually has some decent 10 gal tanks for about $12-13... Also I agree w/ Adastra about craigslist... I'm always seeing 10+ gallon tanks for very cheap or for free on there!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #4 
SmokeNLark

Thanks guys. I don't really NEED another 10 gallon, just wondering if it was worth fixing up. :P
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #5 
Kittles

If it were a glass tank, and you had the proper items necessary for a repair on hand, I'd say go for it. Fixing a plastic tank, though, is a lost cause.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote