Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #11 
Ajones108

WXchick: You can't go wrong with the Hydor Theo heater that Adastra suggested and F&S aquatics is amazing. I'm a college student and have a 2.5 gallon heated betta tank on my desk. It can get to about 69 degrees in our room and the 25w Hydor Theo heater on the tank at a solid 80 degrees. And, I live in Florida. Tampa. So it gets hot outside but that means nothing for the fish tank in the cold room.

Betta fish always need a heater. If you just order everything you need from F&S aquatics then you won't have to worry about running around everywhere else. I just placed another order with them a couple days ago and when I run home for 2 weeks I'm picking up my package there. Excellent site, excellent quality.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #12 
brandynva

I just checked that site out and it looks amazing. Next payday I will be ordering that Theo heater. It looks nice.
brandynva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #13 
Ajones108

I got my siphon from there, plastic plants, my API freshwater master test kit, my heater, many more things I can't quite remember, and in my latest order I picked up a filter, replacement cartridge pack, Methylene Blue and Malachite Green for emergencies, Dr. Tim's one and only, and like 4 other things @_@. You'll fall in love with it. The 8.99 shipping is worth the discounts especially on their summer sale
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #14 
Drift

You mentioned the floating betta log and I wanted to say highly recommended. I have one in all 3 of my betta tanks. They love sleeping in them and around them at night.
You can also check out craigslist and see if anyone has anything for sale or under free. I see a lot of 10 gallon full setups people sell for $20 in my area.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #15 
WXchick7

Thanks again everybody, yall have been super helpful.

I went to Petsmart today and was told AGAIN I didn't need a heater, but I bought one anyway. I ended up with the Top Fin 25 watt heater. Its adjustable for temperatures from 68* - 89*. They ended up not having the Hydor Theo heater in stock. :/

I also purchased the 2.5gal Aqueon aquarium kit that I posted the link for earlier (which has a low flow filter) and the Top Fin mini gravel vacuum. I also got gravel and a few decor items. So is it highly recommended to test the water and such with a test kit before putting the fish in? (I was planning on moving him tomorrow.) Also, if I'm using the water conditioner, can I just use tap water? (We have fairly nice well water at my house).

Awesome! Thanks Drift! I will definitely get one for my betta the next time I end up at the store :)

Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
WXchick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #16 
Ajones108

Yeah tap water is fine as long as you use water conditioner. If you plan on cycling the tank, since it has a filter, you might want to look into that. You don't want poor fish to get harmed in the process of cycling if you don't watch your ammonia. He looks pretty. I'm sure the Top Fin heater will work for you as well. We just speak from experience with our own heaters. :p
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #17 
WXchick7

Is it preferable to cycle the tank? I've read up on fish-in and the fishless methods, and my only concern is the length of time. I would like to move him to the new tank sooner than later, and I'm leaving for college in a week and a half (though its only a 45min drive), I don't know how well transport of a cycling tank would go.
WXchick7 is offline   Reply With Quote