Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #1 
brownie

tail bubble?

our betta fish has the long droopy tail and yesterday I noticed it had a light colored bubble on the end of it that holds the tail up. last night the bubble was gone, but this morning it is back. what the heck is this??
Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic?

How big is the tank, how much and how ofter are the water changes and when was the last one, filtration, live plants, additives used, water temp- any treatment or medication used and how long have you had him and the set-up?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #3 
brownie

tail bubble

I just got home and the bubble is gone again. the tank is 1.6 gallons,change all the water once a week and clean every thing with warm water. it has an air bubbler that circulates the water thru the blue stones and filters it.no live plants, only additive is the help keep the water clean.no medication. the water temperture is about 73 degrees. Ruby has lived like this for about six months and seems happy and eats well.

P.S.
Ruby has a plastic plant to hide in and a few pretty little rocks to swim around.

Last edited by brownie; 08-01-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: omisson
brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The additive to keep the water clean..what is it called? is it a dechlorinator of some type, also if you don't use dechlorinator-is your source water from a well?

In a 1.6g tank with an air stone and no live plants I would increase your water changes to twice weekly-1-50% and 1-100%-although you have an air-stone and not the best to provide a good location for the good bacteria to maintain a cycle-it will provide the oxygen needed for the good bacteria. With that said....more water changes would help to keep water quality at levels to prevent health and fin issues.

Your water temp is another concern, Bettas being tropical fish thrive best in stable water temps in the 76-80F range. Too low of water temp can be stressful and lead to other health problems.

If the bubble looks to be an air bubble related to water changes or from the air-stone-it should not cause any problems, especially since it sounds like they resolve on its own.

Also-Welcome to this wonderful hobby of Betta keeping...look forward to to seeing pic of your Betta and hearing more about him and your set-up.....
Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #5 
brownie

I checked the temperature again with a floating thermometer and it is 77 degrees. there is a small automatic heater to keep Ruby warm. the additive is nutrafin waste control biological aquarium cleaner. the water is chlorinated, I leave it out in open containers over night so the chlorine will dissipate. I will take your advice and change the water twice a week.
thanks for the info.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Do they not use chloramine in Canada? if so, sitting the water out to age will not rid the water of chloramine only chlorine and both can be deadly to fish.
Also, with the increase in water changes you won't need that nutrafin additive.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #7 
brownie

OK, I will stop using nutrafin and I will add the additive to treat chlorinated water. never heard of chloramine.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

You may not have chloramine in your city water supply, here in the USA we do in most if not all states, I would check with your local water company, IMO the less chemicals added the better and if you don't have chloramine in the water supply I would not treat for it and letting the chlorine dissipate the way you are doing it- IMO is a great way to treat the water.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #9 
frogipoi

I have no idea what the bubble is but oldfishlady sounds right.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #10 
brownie

tail bubble

thanks for the advice oldfishlady