Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #11 
Adastra

I would do a full treatment according to the instructions--then I would give him a break and see how he does with clean water for awhile. I think you should do what you can to make him more comfortable--lower the water level and add some plants/cover near the top for him to rest on. You should also add an airstone if you haven't already--just make sure the airflow is controlled by a gang valve, or that you tie enough knots in the tubing so that only a few bubbles can escape at a time.

Good luck, I hope he perks up.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #12 
Drift

He is in a 2.5 gallon so the water is no where's near as high when he was in his 10 gallon. I bought him some new silky plants today and will be placing in tomorrow. I need to find an air pump and stone. I know I have one, but I think it's at the bottom of my closet. I gave him a break between everything listed for a week before the Maracyn.
I was debating on if I should put a strand or two of my hornwort in there though.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #13 
JamieTron

I think you are doing the best you can :) Hopefully he pulls through for you!!!

random nerdy question...do you use tricaine methanesulfonate (MS22) for fish euthanization at your work?? It what we had to use at school for the sick fish we raised.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #14 
bloo97

How would you euthanize a fish anyways?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #15 
Drift

Haha, it's ok to ask and fyi i'm only a tech. We don't have that on hand as I work at a small animal clinic. I was going to sedate with clove oil, and Pentobarb intracoelomic. I just want it to be quick.
My boyfriend thinks he's getting better so hopefully won't have to result in this. :)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #16 
JosShavaughn

try the meds first. I mean, if after a couple days he's still in the same condition, then don't let him suffer any longer. I know it must be tough. I don't know if I could do that to Zombie if he ever got sick, but I also don't believe in letting an animal, who can't communicate what they're feeling, suffer like that.
JosShavaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #17 
Drift

If he stops eating, I'll put him down as others suggested. Right now he's still eating.
Today he got 2 of 3 treatments of the Kanaplex. I did a 100% water change and scrubbed everything in his tank down with a stiff bristle brush in case anything was hanging onto it. Gave him a new plant to keep things interesting and added an airstone.
I can't keep doing 100% water changes he gets to stressed being dumped into a net. it'll be more like a 95% water changes daily and keep scooping him into his glass jar. I used to feed him in it so he likes it more. I think too much stress might push him over the edge. I'll do 100% changes with a hot water scrubbing weekly.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #18 
JamieTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
Haha, it's ok to ask and fyi i'm only a tech. We don't have that on hand as I work at a small animal clinic. I was going to sedate with clove oil, and Pentobarb intracoelomic. I just want it to be quick.
My boyfriend thinks he's getting better so hopefully won't have to result in this. :)
Ohhhh okay I figured if it wasn't MS22 it might be clove oil. We also had to learn how to use that as well. Thanks for answering my question by the way! I only worked with fish that are farmed in terms of ever having to euthanize. Some of the Arctic char (poor things) were always getting sick. But the MS22 was given to us by a vet, so I was curious if vet clinics would use that for smaller species as well.

Glad to hear he is doing a bit better too! That would be wonderful if he had a full recovery
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #19 
FuulieQ

Poor thing. :c I hope he pulls through...
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #20 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Good luck. The decision whether to euthazize should be made when you've tried everything you can think of and he's still not getting better. You have to guage whether you think the fish is suffering and put it out of it's misery at that point in time. I just had to put one down two weeks ago after trying the lowest/less invasive meds all the way through to tetracycline with no good results.

It's never easy. Sending good fishy wishes your way!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote