Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #1 
Larthan

Upper lip detachment and swelling face

I do have E.M. Erythromycin, however I wanted opinions before using. Until now, I've been using simply clean water to try and treat, but it hasn't shown any improvement. Her eyes seem sunken into her face, but only because her head is swollen - she does NOT have any raised scales.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon (moved to 4 gallon for treatment)
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes (sponge filter)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air stone inside sponge filter, makes tons of little bubbles
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Four other betta females

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? A variety, usually Attison's Betta Pro, sometimes I switch it up with some Aqueon Betta Food pellets, and the occasional Tetra Betta pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day - once in the morning, once at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 week 50%, 1 week 75%, next week 50%, next week 100%
Treatment tank gets daily 50% change one day, 100% next

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Tap Water Conditioner (adding a couple of drops of stress coat to the treatment tank), occasionally IAL fragments (at least the size of two quarters)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I have not recently.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Noticed what looked like a bite taken out of her face about a week ago, and figured she got in a scrap with the purple girl. Neither seemed stressed, but I added a few drops of stress coat to the tank just in case.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Can't seem to get food to her mouth. She can open it fine, and breathing fine, but seems to have trouble pinpointing and eating food that isn't soaked and on the ground.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Separated two days ago in 4 gallon tank after realizing how bad her face looked and that she wasn't able to get food before the others ate it, fresh treated water and stress coat added. Just trying clean water and time, but it's not getting better.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown - acquired this past winter.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown, for the same reason as above.

Larthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #2 
Larthan

Bumping up, because I'd like to know what others would do before I try and treat further.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #3 
Larthan

Bumping again. I started treatment with the Erythromycin. Swelling seems to be going down and fish had excessive slime coat this morning. She can actually turn her eye now. Still missing food, but I think she thinks the separation between her mouth and where the swelling's receding is her mouth. She can still open it, and still breathes fine.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #4 
Tree

oh my... I have no idea but I will bump this up for you. ^^
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #5 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Also nothing to add, but a bump :(
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medication